What would you do with your mobile phone if it has no charge? It’s totally useless without power, isn’t it? In such a way, a framing nailer is totally useless without an air compressor as the air compressor operates the framing crew with its compressed air. The best air compressor for framing is the powerhouse of the framing project.
There are thousands of air compressors you will find in the marketplace for running nail guns. And all the air compressors are not for appropriate framing as framing project requires such air compressor that you can easily carry with. But if the compressor is too tiny then you cannot get the required CFM as well as air pressure for framing.
To cope up with all these crises here we are presenting a list of 6 topmost air compressors for framing. Have a look at the list who knows you may get the power horse of your framing project from this review.
- 1 Summing up the Review: Best Air Compressor for Framing
- 1.1 PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor
- 1.2 BOSTITCH BTFP02012 Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor
- 1.3 Bostitch BTFP3KIT Air Compressor Combo Kit
- 1.4 DEWALT DWFP55126 Pancake Air Compressor
- 1.5 Makita MAC5200 Big Bore Air Compressor
- 1.6 Campbell Hausfeld DC080500 Portable Air Compressor
- 2 Buying Guide:
- 2.1 Portability:
- 2.2 CFM:
- 2.3 PSI:
- 2.4 Air Tank:
- 2.5 Oiled vs. Oil-free Motor:
- 2.6 Noise-level:
- 2.7 Recovery Time:
- 2.8 User Manual:
- 2.9 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 3 The Closer:
Summing up the Review: Best Air Compressor for Framing
In this review, we are going to present the best 6 portable air compressors for framing from our own experiment on these products. Here is a quick guide for you so that you can easily pick the right one according to your need.
- All the air compressors create noise. If you want a quieter working environment then there is no other alternative to Campbell Hausfeld DC080500 Portable Air Compressor as it has a noise level of only 68 dB which allows you to carry the conversation while working.
- When your focus is industrial grade heavy-duty air compressor then you can choose Makita MAC5200 Big Bore Air Compressor for its fastest recovery and high CFM (6.9 CFM at 40).
- And when your focus is the super-portable, lightweight unit then you can grab either PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor or BOSTITCH BTFP02012 Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor as both weigh almost 30 lbs.
- And if you want such a lightweight air compressor which is not only for nailing but also for inflating, drilling, stapling then go for DEWALT DWFP55126 Pancake Air Compressor which is super portable for its 30 lbs. body weight
- Searching for a complete kit for framing? Don’t want to buy the framing tools individually? Then Bostitch BTFP3KIT Air Compressor Combo Kit is here for you with a finish nailer, crown stapler, brad nailer along with an oil-free, 6 gallons pancake air compressor.
PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor
- Weight: 30 lbs.
- Dimension: 19 x 18 x 20.94 inches
- Tank Size: 6 Gallons
- Max Pressure: 150 PSI
- CFM: 3.5 SCFM at 40
- Noise Level: 82 dB
- 8 Horsepower, 120 volts, oil-free motor ensures long life and requires no maintenance
- You can easily carry this super portable 30 lbs. compressor by grabbing its handle
- Max CFM is 3.5 at 40 and 2.6 at 90 which allows quick compressor recovery time
- The shipment carries a 13 pieces accessory kit which is a complete solution for framing
PORTER-CABLE C2002-WK Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor is one of the best air compressors for the framing crew for its super portability. You can carry this portable 6-gallons compressor grabbing by its handle whenever and wherever you need to pin the nails.
The unit consists of two quick couplers for dual operating, a regulator, a universal pressure switch with an on/off switch, and two pressure gauges; one is for measuring tank pressure and another is for measuring regulator pressure. The 20-gallon air tank has a drain valve to release moisture. Again the motor is wrapped with a cover that protects the vital parts of the compressor.
You can run this oil-free unit with low amps 120 V power even by connecting with an extension cord. And this powerful tiny unit can produce up to 150 PSI pressure by which you can carry not only nailing job but also cleaning, inflating, drilling, and many more power tasks.
- No maintenance
- The louder motor may cause irritation
BOSTITCH BTFP02012 Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor
- Dimension: 17 x 17 x 19.25 inches
- Weight: 29 lbs.
- Max Pressure: 150 PSI
- Max CFM: 2.6 at 90 PSI
- Air Tank: 6 Gallons
- Noise Level: 78.5 dB
- Oil-free, 0.8 HP motor can reach its maximum 150 PSI within 3 minutes of running the motor
- The 29 lbs. lightweight 6 gallons unit is easy to carry and move around for its roof nailing, brad nailing, and stapling
- Though the compressor has only 0.8HP it has the configuration for an easy start-up even in extremely cold weather
- The unit has a CFM rating of 2.6 at 90 PSI with a quick recovery system for maximizing tools performance
BOSTITCH BTFP02012 Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor is an oil-free, maintenance-free, electric corded compressor with a 0.8 HP motor. The unit is one of the best portable air compressors for nailing for its 29 lbs. weight with the handle to grab.
The 6 gallons unit has 2 quick couplers for dual nailing at a time, a high flow regulator, two pressure gauges; one measures the regulator pressure, the other measures the tank pressure, a pressure switch, and a removable cover which allows easy repair.
Though the Horsepower of this portable unit is less than 1.00 it has the configuration of producing 150 PSI max pressure with a 2.6 CFM rating. As most garage air tools require 0-5 CFM you can run not only your nail gun but also almost all the impacting tools along with tire inflator, dusting tools, etc. with this super portable pancake compressor.
- Super portable
- High Pressure
- Narrow tank diameter
- Louder Motor
Bostitch BTFP3KIT Air Compressor Combo Kit
- Weight: 41.8 pounds
- Dimension: 21.13 x 19.5 x 18 inches
- Air Tank: 6 Gallons
- Max Pressure: 150 PSI
- CFM: 2.6 CFM
- Tools Included: 3 pieces nailer kit
- Oil-free pancake air compressor with 3 pieces nailer combo kit with one-year limited warranty
- SB-1664FN 16 GA straight finish nailer can drive 1/4-inch to 2-1/2-inch
- Again there has a crown stapler of BTFP71875 which can drive staples 1/4-inch to 9/16-inch and 18GA brad nails from 1/2-inch to 5/8-inch
- SB-1850BN GA brad nailer with the pancake compressor which can drive 18 GA brad nails from 1/8 inch to 2-inch depth on the surface
Bostitch BTFP3KIT Pancake Air Compressor Combo Kit is a complete package for brad nailing, framing nailing, with an 18 gauge brad nailer, a 16 gauge finish nailer, and a heavy-duty 1/3 inch crown stapler. The combo kit includes a 15 feet long air hose which you can use for operating multiple tools.
The pancake compressor is totally oil-free which requires no maintenance. The compressor unit has two quick couplers for two persons working at a time, a regulator, a pressure switch, two pressure gauges; one is for measuring tank pressure, another is for the measurement of regulator pressure.
The unit is super portable with its bar handle to grab as well as stand to place on. So you can carry this unit wherever you need to adjust nails with its 150 PSI maximum pressure.
- Portable and lightweight
- Faster filling of the tank
- Budget-friendly combo kit for framing
- Powerful motor
- The package has no nails included
DEWALT DWFP55126 Pancake Air Compressor
- Engine: 0.9 HP
- Dimension: 17.2 x 16.6 x 20.1 inches
- Weight: 30 lbs.
- Max Pressure: 165 PSI
- SCFM: 3.7 at 40 PSI, 2.6 at 90 PSI
- Air Tank: 6 gallons
- Noise Level: 75.5 dB
- 9 HP oil-free, belt-drive universal motor is powered by 120 V, 60 Hz 10 amps electricity
- The 6 gallons air tank can supply 22.7 L/Min compressed air with max SCFM of 3.7 at 40 PSI
- High flow regulator makes sure of optimal tools performance of max 165 PSI
- The powerful motor allows extension cord application as well as easily start in cold weather
- The protective rubber leg cover ensures the durability of the unit
DEWALT DWFP55126 Pancake Air Compressor is one of the best quiet framing air compressors for its noise level of 75.5 dB. This unit consists of a 6 gallons air tank with a ball drain valve for quick draining. There is a regulator to control the unit, two universal quick couplers for dual operating at a time for two workers, two pressure gauges, and a universal pressure switch with an on /off button. The motor is covered with a removable console cover which protects the internal parts and allows easy repair.
The unit is super portable and easy to store with its tough handle and cord wrap system. So you can carry this 30 lbs. tiny power horse whenever and wherever you need it simply by grabbing its handle. This heavy-duty pancake compressor is not only ideal for running framing crew but also fit for dusting, stapling, impacting for its optimal tools performance and quick recovery.
- Quiet motor
- High pressure
- Easy start-up
- Quick recovery
- No Wheels
Makita MAC5200 Big Bore Air Compressor
- Engine: 3.00 HP
- Dimension: 29 x 19.5 x 19 inches
- Weight: 88 lbs.
- Air Tank: 5.2 Gallons
- Max PSI: 140 PSI
- CFM: 6.9 at 40 PSI, 6.5 at 90 PSI
- 3 HP Cast iron oiled pump with Big Bore cylinder with 4 pole induction motor
- MAC2500 includes rugged wheels and a folding handle to carry the unit easily around the job site
- The unit is able to provide max 140 PSI industrial power for working with 2 nailers at a time
- 3450 RPM ensures less noise creating a quieter atmosphere on the job site
Makita MAC5200 Big Bore Air Compressor is an industrial-grade power horse that is one of the best quiet framing air compressors. Its lower RMP ensures low noise in the workplace and the cast iron cylinder increases lifespan by reducing internal tear and wear.
The unit has a built-in storage compartment for storing air fittings, the air hose, and other accessories. This industrial grade air compressor consists of two universal quick couplers for dual operating at a time, two pressure gauges; one is for regulator pressure, another is for tank pressure, a pressure switch, a drain valve to drain out the 5.2gallons air tank, two rugged wheels as well as folding stand for easy portability.
This oil-lubricated compressor also has an oil sight glass to check the oil level and an easy oil filling valve. So in a word Makita MAC5200 Big Bore Air Compressor is a perfect air compressor unit for framing for personal as well as professional worksites.
- Increased Durability
- Fastest Recovery
- Less Noise
- Super Portability
- Longer Operating Speed
- Horizontal Tank Requires More Space
Campbell Hausfeld DC080500 Portable Air Compressor
- Engine: 1.00 HP
- Max Pressure: 125 PSI
- CFM: 3.5 at 40 PSI and 2.4 at 90 PSI
- Dimension: 11 x 23 x 26 inches
- Weight: 67 Pounds
- Air Tank: 8 Gallons
- Noise Level: 68 dB.
- The oil-free 1.00 HP 120-volt electric corded engine requires no maintenance cost
- The ultra-quiet motor produces only 68 dB noise which allows conversation while operating the unit
- The compressor is super portable for its 2 large rubber wheels and rubber-grip steel handle
- This super portable unit is perfect for inflating, stapling, nailing, small painting, and bolting for its 125 max PSI
Campbell Hausfeld DC080500 Portable Air Compressor is an ultra-quiet air compressor that is ideal for indoor and outdoor use for its super portability. The compressor has a four time’s longer lifespan than any other conventional air compressor for its oil-free, maintenance-free, and dual-piston pump.
The unit has an 80% duty cycle and it has an air volume of 3.5 at 40 PSI. And like all the single-stage air compressors it has a max pressure of 125 which is exactly fit for framing nailer, roof nailer, tire inflator air stapler, and so on.
This 8 gallons air compressor consists of a regulator to control pressure, a pressure gauge to measure the tank as well as regulator pressure, a quick coupler to connect the air hose, and a drain valve to release moisture.
- Ultra Quiet
- Super Versatile
- Horizontal Shape Tank Needs More Space to Place
The framing job needs the power of compressed air for driving nails into the surface. Whatever the surface is wood or concrete the proper nailing depends on the best-sized air compressor for framing. We are additionally providing here a guide to follow before buying an air compressor for framing.
The framing air compressor must be super portable. If the compressor is stationary then you cannot carry it from place to place for nailing. So what you need to focus on first is the portability of the air compressor.
Pancake air compressors are not more than 30 lbs. So you can easily carry them by holding them to the handle. They don’t need wheels to roll on. On the other hand 6 gallons of air compressors with 40 to 60 lbs. have wheels as well as a handle to carry.
The weight of an air compressor is also a considerable factor for framing. If the compressor is too heavy to carry then it becomes a burden for framing.
So you must notice the weight of the compressor for easy carriage. And in the review, we have given such air compressors which have a weight range from 29 lbs. to 88 lbs.
CFM (the cubic feet per minute) is the unit of measuring air volume. Every power tool has a specific CFM rating. If your air compressor has a CFM rating less than the CFM rating of the tool you cannot run the tool with this compressor.
All the nail guns like brad nailer or framing nailer, stapler, and finish nailer need at least 2.00 CFM rating air compressor to run. So focus on the CFM rating of the compressor if it has the CFM of 2.00 or not.
PSI means the pounds per square inch. It’s the unit of air pressure. Air compressor sucks atmospheric air. And then this air gets compressed by reducing its volume. Again when the compressed air gets out by the outlet point it has its own pressure.
And for the framing job the ideal pressure level is 100-130 PSI. Never set the regulator pressure beyond the maximum PSI level of an air compressor. If anyone does it then there has a high chance of blasting the unit. The max PSI and CFM of an air compressor are written on the body of the compressor.
In an air tank, the compressed air of an air compressor is stored for supplying to the air tools. That means an air tank is a backup for the supply of compressed air. And for framing, you need to shot the nail gun continuously. So you need a precisely sized air tank. Normally a 4 to 6 gallons air tank is enough for framing.
Oiled vs. Oil-free Motor:
Oiled air compressors are durable as well as expensive. On the other hand, oil-free air compressors are cheaper and maintenance-free. And for framing it’s wise to select an oil-free design as oil may fall down while carrying the unit from here and there of the worksites.
Noise level means how much noise your air compressor is producing. The tolerable range for humans is up to 65 dB. But most air compressors produce 60 to 100 dB noise. While buying the air compressor you should take a test that how much noise the motor is producing.
In the review, we have given you the quieter air compressors from 68 dB to a max of 82 dB. If you select an air compressor which creates noise more than 70 dB then use ear-muffs while working for preventing irritation.
The fastest recovery is the most important factor for framing. If the compressor needs huge time to start up again after dropping the pressure then you need more time to complete the work. Along with that, it wastes power generation.
So while buying an air compressor for framing focus on the recovery time of the compressor for smoother as well as faster work.
Reading the user manual is very essential before operating any mechanical device. So what you need to do after buying the right air compressor for framing is reading the user manual to operate the compressor as well as framing tools flawlessly.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question: What is the required PSI of running framing nailer?
Answer: For operating a framing nailer your air compressor must have a PSI of 100 to 130.
Question: What size air tank is sufficient for framing nailer?
Answer: Framing nailer needs continuous airflow to drive nails from 3 to 3.5 inches into the surface. If your air compressor has a 4-6 gallons air tank then it’s perfect for framing.
Question: What size nails should I use for framing nailer?
Answer: The size of nails is very important for ideal framing. For framing it’s wise to use 3.5 inches long nails. These nails are known as “16-d or 16 Penny” nails.
Question: Portable or stationary, which air compressor is the best for doing framing?
Answer: Framing or nailing is such a kind of job that you need to carry the compressor from one place to another. So if you work with your stationary air compressor then it will be tough for you to carry the heavy air compressor. For this reason, a portable pancake air compressor with a 6-gallon air tank is the best size air compressor for framing.
There are thousands of air compressors available in the market. If you don’t know which is the best air compressor for framing then you cannot select the right one. And in this review, we have provided the best 6 air compressors from our own experiment on framing. Now the choice is yours as we have already given the pros and cons of the products for your convenience.
Leave a Reply