Roger, a friend of mine, was asking me is it possible to drive nails on the wood with his 20 gallons garage air compressor? He was searching for the best air compressor for nail guns as he is a carpenter. As we are dealing with power tools, from our years of experience I have recommended him a list of the topmost 7 air compressors for nailing.
Nailing is one of the commonly done power tasks which we all do for personal as well as professional areas. And for nailing what you need is a nail gun with a magazine. However, all the air compressors are not for nailing as you need the portability of the compressor along with the required CFM, PSI, tank capacity as well as horsepower of the nail guns. And in this article, we are going to show you portable, lightweight along with powerful air compressors, which can run your work faster with optimal tool performance. So why we are waiting for? Let get started before the stock goes out!
- 1 Whole Article at a Glance
- 2 Considering To Purchase An Air Compressor For Nail Gun
- 3 Reviewing The Best Air Compressor for Nail Guns
- 3.1 1. CRAFTSMAN CMEC6150K Air Compressor with 13 Piece Accessory Kit
- 3.2 2. PORTER-CABLE C2002 Pancake Air Compressor
- 3.3 3. California Air Tools 8010 Air Compressor
- 3.4 4. California Air Tools 10020C Powerful Air Compressor
- 3.5 5. The Campbell Hausfeld FP209499AV 3-gallon air compressor kit
- 3.6 6. PORTER-CABLE CMB15 Air Compressor Kit
- 3.7 7. Senco PC1010 1/2- Horsepower 1-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 The Closure
Whole Article at a Glance
- Do you need a full combo kit for nailing? Don’t want to buy separate nail guns or blowguns? Then we are going to present three combo kits for you which are complete solutions for nailing. One is the PORTER-CABLE CMB15 Air Compressor Kit, the 2nd one is CRAFTSMAN CMEC6150K Air Compressor with 13 Piece Accessory Kit and the 3rd one is The Campbell Hausfeld FP209499AV 3-gallon air compressor kit. You can undoubtedly carry roof nailing, farming nailing as well as air stapling with these combo kits, as they can produce you up to 6 CFM which is appropriate for nailing.
- Need the quietest work environment? Don’t want to bother your neighbors with the loud noise of a bulky air compressor? Then we are here with California Air Tools 8010 Air Compressor which creates only 60 dB noise while operation with RMP 1680. And the 1 HP engine can produce 120 max pressure with the CFM ratings 3.10 at 40 PSI. And Senco PC1010 1/2- Horsepower 1-Gallon Portable Air Compressor has a noise level of 68 under which you can carry your conversation.
- And for air stapling you can choose PORTER-CABLE C2002 Pancake Air Compressor with 6 gallons air tank. It’s very easy to carry with the CFM ratings of 2.6 at 90 PSI. And don’t worry about the pressure level, as it can produce 150 max pressure.
- When you need to do nailing on a bigger object or surface, you need continuous airflow. In this aspect, what you must need is higher CFM ratings. And California Air Tools 10020C has a 6.40 CFM rating at 40 PSI with 10 gallons air tank. You can easily do finish nailing, brad nailing roofing with California Air Tools 10020C Powerful Air Compressor as all these projects need 3 to 6 gallons tanks with 3.00 to 5.00 CFM ratings.
Considering To Purchase An Air Compressor For Nail Gun
We have already talked about the topmost air compressors for brad nailing, finish nailing, air stapling, and roof nailing. Now we are providing an additional buying guide so that the novice users can easily deal with their air compressor unit not only for nailing but also for running other power tools.
CFM of the Compressor
CFM is the unit by which you can find out the volume of air. The elaborate form of CFM is the cubic feet per minute. It represents how many cubic feet of air is produced by the air compressor per minute.
All the pneumatic power tools require a specific amount of air to run with the air compressor unit. And for running that air tool, your air compressor must fulfill the requirements of that air tool. So while buying an air compressor, check out the required CFM ratings of the air tools which you want to run with your air compressor unit.
Most garage tools, including nail guns, blow guns require 2.00 to 5.00 CFM to work flawlessly. Here is a chart of CFM ratings of different nail guns:
|Types of Nailing||Required CFM||Required Tank|
|Finish nailing||3.00 to 4.00||3 to 6 Gallons|
|Brad Nailing||3.00 to 5.00||3 to 6 Gallons|
|Roofing nailing||2.00 to 4.00||3 to 6 Gallons|
|Framing nailing||2.00 CFM||2 Gallons|
|Air Stapling||0.5 to 2.2 CFM||3 Gallons|
Air Compressor’s CFM for Nailing
We have known that air compressor works with the potential energy of compressed air. And air compressor sucks this air from the atmosphere. And this air is compressed by huge pressure. And the pressure of an air compressor is expressed by the term PSI that means the pounds per square inch.
And a one-stage air compressor has a PSI range of 150. On the other hand, a two-stage air compressor has a max PSI of 175. When you look for the right air compressor, you must check out the required PSI level of the air tools.
RPM stands for rotations per minute. The more RMP is, the louder the motor retorts. And RPM and noise level are linked with each other as the faster the motor retorts, the more noise is produced. The ideal RPM is 1500 to 2000.
When your air compressor operates with 1620 RPM, it creates only 60 dB noise. On the other hand, when it creates 3400 RPM, the noise level will be 90 dB. So lower RPM air compressors are environment friendly.
The Capacity of the Compressor
Horsepower is the unit by which the capacity of an air compressor is expressed. Normally for personal use, air compressors have 0.5 to 5.00 HP engine capacity. The more powerful the engine is, the faster the compressor can fill the tank.
For running nail guns, 0.5 to 1.5 HP is perfect as nail guns don’t need more than 2.00 CFM air.
Source of Power
The Source of power is another factor that you must consider before buying an air compressor. Some compressors are gas-powered; on the other hand, some are electricity-powered. Gas-powered compressors are more expensive. Moreover, fossil fuel is also harmful to the environment.
Electric-powered compressors are cheaper and cleaner than gas-powered ones. Gas-powered compressors are suitable where electricity or its connection is not available.
Tank Size of the Compressor
Air tank stores compressed air. So the bigger the tank is, the more air your air compressor can store. But if the tank is too big, then it needs more place to keep. Along with that, you cannot carry the compressor when you need to carry it if the tank is bulky.
And if the air tank is too small, you need to restart the compressor for filling the compressor again and again. As a result, you need more time to finish the project at hand. So what you need is an air compressor with a precise air tank. And 3 gallons to 10 gallons tank is adequate for nail guns.
Portability of the Compressor
Portability means the mobility of an air compressor unit. Portable air compressors are lightweight, in most cases, they have wheels as well as a stand/handle to carry. On the other hand, stationary air compressors are bigger as well as heavier. So you cannot carry a stationary air compressor of 40 to 80 gallons air tank.
And for doing nailing job portability of an air compressor is a crying need as you need to carry the compressor from one place to another. If you are roofing, then you very might also need to take the air compressor up on the roof. For this reason, while nailing what you must consider the portability of the compressor before buying. And in this review, we have talked about all the air compressors less than 50 Kg those are portable with handles along with wheels.
Following the Manual Book
Last but not least, what you must follow is the manual book. All the air compressors for nail guns recommended here carry a manual book with the shipment. And in the manual book, you can find what to do and what not to do with the compressor unit. Again, you can easily find the using procedure from the manual book.
Reviewing The Best Air Compressor for Nail Guns
1. CRAFTSMAN CMEC6150K Air Compressor with 13 Piece Accessory Kit
- Weight: 32.5 Pounds
- Dimension: 16.5 x 16.5 x 17.88 inches
- Maximum PSI: 150 PSI
- CFM: 2.6 CFM at 90 PSI
- Size: 6 Gallons Tank
- Noise: 78.5 dB
CRAFTSMAN CMEC6150K Air Compressor comes with a 13 Piece Accessory Kit that includes two blowguns; one is with OSHA safety nozzle another is with plug, a tire chuck with plug, a rubber tip, three inflator adaptors, tire gauge with plug, and a 25 feet long PVC air hose.
This air compressor unit consists of two quick couplers which support two operators at a time, two pressure gauges, one gauge is for measuring tank pressure, and another is for regulator pressure measurement, a safety valve as it prevents the unit blasting by escaping excess pressure. The unit is super-portable with a handle to carry and three rubber-footed legs. In a word CRAFTSMAN, CMEC6150K air compressor is a complete package for nailing for its 150 max pressure.
- Quick recovery with higher CFM
- Made with global materials
- Adequate cut-in pressure for optimal tool performance
- The tank may leak unless draining it
- No wheels
2. PORTER-CABLE C2002 Pancake Air Compressor
- Size: 6 Gallons
- Max Pressure: 10.342 Bar/ 150 PSI
- Volume of Air: 2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI
- Dimension: 19 x 19 x 18 inches
- Engine: 0.8 HP
PORTER-CABLE C2002 Air Compressor is an oil-free, 0.8 HP, steel body, pancake-style air compressor which is totally maintenance-free. This pancake-style air compressor is one of the portable air compressors for a nail gun for its 150 PSI max pressure. This unit has two quick couplers with two gauges along with a regulator to control, and an on/off switch. Along with these, there is a drain valve to drain the moisture as well as a safety valve to release excess pressure.
You will be delighted to know that this pancake air compressor supports an extension cord for its low amp and 120 V power. Again, the unit is super portable with its only 30 lbs. weight and stronger handle. There is a cord wrap which makes the unit easy to carry for the users. And there is no possibility of rust for rubber stand on the bottom.
- Connect with an extension cord
- Easy to carry
- Firmest recovery time
- Easy start at winter
- 1-year warranty
- Louder Engine
3. California Air Tools 8010 Air Compressor
- Size of Tank: 8 Gallons
- Dimension: 26 x 14 x 23 inches
- Bodyweight: 48 lbs.
- Max Pressure Limit: 120 PSI
- Max Air Volume: 3.10 CFM at 40 PSI and 2.2 CFM at 90 PSI
- Engine: 1.0 HP
- Maximum Noise Production: 60 DB
California Air Tools 8010 Air Compressor is one of the best air compressors for the finish nailer for its 1 HP oil-free, dual-piston engine. The compressor unit is oil-free with one ¼ inch industrial female coupler for quick connection along with two pressure gauges. And there is an air filter installed by the manufacturer which ensures the supply of cleaner air for optimal tool performance.
The compressor has a thermal overload protector with 8.5 Amps. And the units operate with 1680 RPM that creates only 60 DB noise, which is 30% less than regular compressors! And it is splendid handy for bigger wheels as well as handle.
- Less heat production
- Cleaner air for air filter installation
- Firmest recovery
- More than 3000 work hours
- Heavy-duty cycle
- Super quietest engine for low RPM
- No Cons
4. California Air Tools 10020C Powerful Air Compressor
- Engine Capacity: 2 HP
- Tank Size: 10 Gallons
- Dimension: 16 x 15.1 x 35.9 inches
- Weight of Body: 82.5 Pounds
- Air Volume: 6.40 CFM at 40 PSI and 5.30 CFM at 90 PSI
- Highest Pressure Level: 125 PSI
- Range of Noise: 70 dB
California Air Tools 10020C air compressor is an oil-free unit with 2 HP dual-piston engines. The easy-start valve ensures load-free startup, especially in winter. And the 10 gallons steel air tank has both automatic as well as manual drain valves for releasing excess moisture from the unit.
The air compressor unit has a dashboard-style control panel which has two pressure gauges, one gauge monitors the tank pressure & the other one monitors the regulator pressure, two quick couplers for supporting dual workers at a time, a universal pressure switch for adjusting pressure, a regulator to control the whole unit and a safety valve for the release of excess pressure.
- Only 70 dB noise that allows calm conversation in the midst
- Portable for stronger wheels and bar handle
- The continuous flow of air
- Durable metal body with 3000 work hours
- 1-year warranty
- Chances of leakage if not drained
5. The Campbell Hausfeld FP209499AV 3-gallon air compressor kit
- Air Tank: 3 Gallons
- Noise Level: 90 dB
- Max Air Pressure: 110 PSI
- Air Volume: 0.35 CFM at 90 PSI; Max 1.02 CFM at 40 PSI
- Dimension: 15.74 x 7.87 x 19.58 inches
- Bodyweight: 21.3 Pounds
The Campbell Hausfeld FP209499AV 3-gallon air compressor kit is one of the smallest air compressors for a nail gun for its 3 gallons portable air compressor along with the blowgun as well as the inflation needles. With this horizontal air compressor unit, you can not only do airbrushing or inflating but also can carry finish projects perfectly for faster recovery time.
The unit has two gauges that are easy to read, a regulator to control the oil-free unit, the safety valve which saves the unit from blasting, and last but not least, the manual drain valve to drain out the moisture of the tank. And don’t forget to drain out the water by opening the drain valve as the air tank may store gallons of water, if not drained properly.
- Fastest inflation
- Ideal for nailing
- Portable and lightweight unit
- Combo kit for nailing along with inflating
- The horizontal shape takes more space
- Low volume of air
6. PORTER-CABLE CMB15 Air Compressor Kit
- Tank Size: 1.5 Gallons
- Maximum Pressure level: 150 PSI
- Dimension: 15.5 x 13.25 x 20.5 inches
- Weight: 20 lbs.
- Maximum: 2.0 SCFM at 90 PSI
- Noise Level: 79 dB
PORTER-CABLE CMB15 Air Compressor Kit is one of the cheapest air compressors for a nail gun for its hand-carry configuration. The compressor unit has a quick recovery time, which ensures optimal tool performance in all seasons. As the unit is oil-free it requires no maintenance. And you can get 150 PSI max pressure from it which is ideal for finish nailing.
This handy compressor has a control panel that has two gauges; one gauge is for measuring tank pressure, another gauge is for measuring regulator pressure, a regulator to control the whole unit along with an on/off switch. There is a quick coupler that supports one nailer to carry continuous blowing.
- Lightweight and easy to carry by grabbing
- Can connect with an extension cord
- Durable and powerful for nailing
- The oil-free pump needs no maintenance
- Easy startup the configuration for winter
- Low AMP
7. Senco PC1010 1/2- Horsepower 1-Gallon Portable Air Compressor
- Air Tank: 1 Gallon
- Noise Level: 68 DB Max
- Max Air Pressure: 135 PSI
- Air Volume: 0.7 SCFM at 90 PSI and 1.4 max CFM at 40 PSI
- Dimension: 14 x 13 x 10 inches
- Bodyweight: 20 Pounds
Senco PC1010 1/2- Horsepower 1-Gallon Portable Air Compressor has, 0.5 HP motor with 1 gallon tank which is ideal for nailing for its only 20 lbs. weight. As the compressor is oil free, it needs no maintenance cost. Again, it can supply 20 to 44 drivers per minute, which is appropriate for home as well as any range of renovation.
The compressor unit has two pressure gauges; one is for monitoring tank pressure, another is for monitoring regulator pressure, a regulator to control the unit, an on/off switch, a safety valve to release the extra pressure which saves the unit from blasting, a manual drain valve to drain out the moisture of 1-gallon tank and a durable and stronger bar handle with rubber grip for carrying the unit from one site to another site.
- Super portable compressor
- Noise-free pump
- Heavy-duty induction motor of 0.5 HP
- Lube-less Pump
- 1-year warranty
- Risk of bursting
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Why do I need an air compressor for running a nail gun?
Answer: A nail gun needs the power to drive nails on any hard surface. And an air compressor is the source of power that works with the potential energy of compressed air.
Question: Do I need an air compressor for running all the nail guns?
Answer: No, you don’t need an air compressor for running the cordless nail guns which are powered by batteries. These nail guns cannot support continuous nailing. For running a powerful nail gun you need an air compressor.
Question: How much CFM is for nail guns?
Answer: 1.5 CFM to 5.00 CFM ratings air compressors are perfect for nail guns.
Question: What PSI is required for running a nail gun?
Answer: Nail guns need only 90 PSI air pressure to run smoothly. Again, most one-stage air compressors have a 150 max PSI range.
Question: What size air compressor for nail gun?
Answer: As nailing needs a continuous flow of air, you need at least a 3-gallon air tank to run a nail gun with an air compressor.
Question: How much do I need to spend on a nail gun?
Answer: You can get the best air compressor under 500 for nailing.
Nailing is one of the power tasks which is done with the power of compressed air. And all the air compressors are not suitable for nailing. Can you imagine doing roof nailing with an 80 gallons tank capacity air compressor? Absolutely not. Again, you cannot drive nails on the wall or wood with a tire inflator. So what you must need is the right air compressor according to the need of the project.
In the article entitled with best air compressor for nail gun, we have given the topmost air compressors for nailing by considering the required PSI, CFM, HP, as well as tank size for nailing. What you must follow are the safety measures for having a safer work environment, as personal safety is our main priority.