Painting with a hand brush is boring as well as time-consuming, isn’t it? So what you need is an automated way like spray painting to give you paint job a quick boost. In this regard, a spray painter that runs on air compressor can save your time by quick painting. And for that you will definitely need the best air compressor for your spray gun for spray painting.
At this pandemic time, you can paint not only your car but also your wall of the house, even furniture by yourself. A spray gun is the best alternative to a hand brush. And what you need to run a spray gun is the compressed air of an air compressor.
There are thousands of air compressors available in the market. However, all models are not suitable for running paint guns. The paint gun needs continuous airflow for a smooth coating. And what you need to focus on for choosing a good compressor for painting is the CFM (cubic feet per minute) of the air compressor.
Here we are showing you the top 10 air compressors for spray painting. Have a glimpse on the list who knows your desired painting air compressor may wait here to grab.
- 1 Quick Overview of Best Air Compressor for Spray Painting:
- 2 Top 10 Spray Painting Air Compressor Reviews:
- 2.1 Campbell Hausfeld TQ3104, Single Stage Vertical Air Compressor
- 2.2 Industrial Air ILA4546065 Hi-Flo Single Stage Cast Iron 60 Gallon Air Compressor
- 2.3 VIVOHOME 110-120V Professional Airbrushing Paint System
- 2.4 Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor:
- 2.5 Industrial Air Contractor CTA5090412 Portable Pontoon Air Compressor
- 2.6 TIMBERTECH ABPST07, 1/6HP Portable Air Compressor Airbrush Paint System
- 2.7 Powermate Vx PLA4708065 Electric Air Compressor
- 2.8 VIVOHOME 4336951560 Professional Airbrushing Paint System
- 2.9 California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Air Compressor
- 2.10 Craftsman CMEC6150K 6 Gallon Pancake Air Compressor
- 3 Buyer’s Guide:
- 4 The Final Thoughts:
Quick Overview of Best Air Compressor for Spray Painting:
In this review, we are going to provide you a list of the top 10 air compressors from our own experiment on painting. This review is not only for professional painters but also for hobbyists. Just what you need to do is to grab the best one according to your project.
I’m here with a bunch of tips for you:
- If your task is small craft painting, cake decoration, shoe paint then go for TIMBERTECH ABPST07, 1/6HP Portable Air Compressor Airbrush Paint System, or VIVOHOME Professional Airbrushing Paint System.
- And for dyeing medium-sized objects like a guitar or any other instrument painting you can use an air compressor with 6 to 10 gallons air tanks like Craftsman CMEC6150K, or California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Air Compressor. These compressors are super quiet and portable.
- Again for painting large surfaces like a car or any wall then you need an air compressor with higher HP like Powermate Vx PLA4708065 Electric Air Compressor or Campbell Hausfeld TQ3104, Single Stage Vertical Air Compressor. These giant machines have larger CFM along with bigger air tanks.
- And if your worksite doesn’t have an electrical connection to supply power then can go for Industrial Air Contractor CTA5090412 Portable Pontoon Air Compressor as it is gas-powered.
Top 10 Spray Painting Air Compressor Reviews:
Campbell Hausfeld TQ3104, Single Stage Vertical Air Compressor
- Engine: 5 HP
- CFM: 16 at 90 PSI
- Max Pressure: 140 PSI
- Tank Capacity: 80 Gallons
- Dimension: 31 x 43 x 81 inches
- Weight: 409 lbs
- 5 HP powerful engine provides 140 maximum PSI air pressure to tackle a heavy-duty project
- 16 CFM at 90 PSI ensure a high volume of air for a paint job
- Cast iron pump & four cylinders make the compressor durable and reliable with 10000 hours lifespan
The Campbell Hausfeld TQ3104 comes with ASME certified vertical tank design that minimizes space in the shop or garage. Its 80 gallons air tank can supply continuous airflow to operate more than 20 garage tools like spray guns, grinders, sanders, nail guns, automotive cutters and so on.
The compressor is single-stage with a universal coupler to connect the air hose. Its universal pressure switch controls the pressure level from 90 to 140 PSI. It has rubber padding on the bottom to prevent rust of the stand.
At the bottom, there is a manual drain valve to release moisture. The model has a 1-year warranty with the configuration to works faster for 16 CFM ratings.
- Higher CFM
- Powerful Machine up to 10000 Work Hours.
- Bigger Air Tank for Continuous Flow
- Cast Iron Body
- Stationery, Not Portable
- Noise Level is Pretty Higher( Almost 80 DB)
Industrial Air ILA4546065 Hi-Flo Single Stage Cast Iron 60 Gallon Air Compressor
- Motor: 4.7 Horsepower
- Weight: 250 Pounds
- CFM Ratings: 14 at 90 PSI, 16.1 at 40 PSI
- Capacity: 155 PSI Max
- Tank Size: 60 Gallons
- Single stage 4.7 HP, oiled, heavy-duty, 240-volt induction engine ensures the durability
- 1 SCFM ratings at 40 PSI provides continuous airflow for painting, nailing, sanding, grinding, impacting, and cutting
- 60 gallons, ASME certified air tank provides more air for a longer duty cycle
- 155 PSI air pressure makes sure the high flow at 208-240 volt, 20 amp electric power
- Cast iron crankcase, fully cast iron cylinder, Swedish steel flex leaf valves ensure durability
Industrial Air ILA4546065 Hi-Flo Single Stage Air Compressor has 2 years limited warranty for its super durable cast-iron cylinders and oil-lubricated engine. The giant machine with an air tank of 60 gallons can produce 155 PSI air pressure for operating impact wrenches, spray guns, grinders, sanders, and many industrial tools.
The shipment also provides, universal pressure switch, pressure gauge, air filter, and synthetic oil as the engine is oil lubricated with oil sight glass and an easy oil filling system. The body of this air compressor is fully made with cast iron with a full metal belt guard for optimum performance. The silencer reduces the noise level and the vertical design reduces the placing space of this giant compressor.
- Produces High Volume Air
- Powerful Electric Corded Motor
- Best for Painting
- Heavy Duty Compressor
- Durable, Higher CFM, Larger PSI
- Heavy in Weight
- Not Portable
VIVOHOME 110-120V Professional Airbrushing Paint System
- Dimension: 7.7 x 3.9 x 6.3 inches
- Weight: 9.9 Pounds
- Noise level: 47 dB
- Horsepower: 1/5 HP
- Flow Capacity: 23-25 L/Min
- A fully modified airbrushing system with a high performance 1/5 HP air compressor of 0.8 CFM
- Professional results with unique, well-crafted equipment for top-notch painting performance
- Oil-free pump with only 47db noise, air filter provides moisture-free continuous air
- Automatic motor reduces the possibility of blasting, able to deliver 23-25 L/Min air
- Multiple functions cover commercial to the personal areas of painting like crafting, tattoos, cake decoration, etc.
VIVOHOME 110-120V Professional Airbrushing Paint System is an intelligent, multipurpose airbrushing device with the feature of painting, spraying, inflating, and doing all the airbrush jobs.
The whole kit carries a compressor with 1/5 HP, an airbrush holder with two airbrushes, an air hose to connect the airbrush with the compressor.
The system also has an air filter adjoining to the compressor which can supply 23-25 L/Min moisture-free compressed air of 0.8CFM.
The system is totally secured with a classic piston framework with only 47 dB noise. As the motor is oil-free, it has no maintenance cost. The steady& sufficient airflow, low noise, portable design with handle, heat-protective oil-free motor make it popular among the hobbyist as well as professional painters.
- Low noise
- Can produce continuous airflow
- Best for airbrushing
- Not suitable for car/wall painting
- Cannot generate continuous airflow
Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor:
- Engine: 2HP
- Dimension: 18 x 22 x 10 inches
- Weight: 52 lbs.
- Max CFM: 3.8 at 40 PSI
- Noise Level: 80 dB.
- Oil lubricated, 2 HP powerful motor reduces internal tear and wear
- Motor operates 1720 RMP to keep the noise level under 80 dB iron pump with big bore cylinder resulting in a greater stroke
- Can provide up to 130 PSI air pressure by its 2.6 gallons air tank
- Faster recovery system, cast iron cylinders ensure the longer operating speed
MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor is made of cast iron for maximum bore and stroke. The 2 HP, the oiled motor with an 80 dB noise level can produce 3.8 CFM compressed air at 40 PSI. The system is electrically powered; the required voltage is 120 Volts.
The system is portable with a roll bar handle, industrial air filter for separating moisture, copper finned discharge tube for heat degeneracy, two universal couplers for connecting two air hoses at a time, and an automotive drain valve for easy draining of moisture.
The sight glass makes sure easy maintenance of oil; the cast iron body increases the durability to cope up with tough job sites. The compressor is suitable both for garage owners as well as industrial sites for small to medium object painting like crafts, show-pieces, paintings, musical instruments for its improved durability along with efficiency.
- Durable, efficient & portable
- Best for LVLP painting
- May leak if not drained
- Portable but no wheels
Industrial Air Contractor CTA5090412 Portable Pontoon Air Compressor
- Engine: 5 horsepower
- Max Pressure: 155 PSI
- Dimension: 24.4 x 21.9 x 19.8 inches
- Max Capacity: 6.9 CFM at 40 PSI
- Air Tank: 4 Gallons
- 5 HP oil-free, Honda OHC/ OHV, the direct-drive premium gas engine provides smoother performance
- There is a cooling system for increased cooling efficiencies, reducing the temperature and fuel consumption
- With the tank size of 4 gallons, it can produce a maximum of 155 PSI air pressure for optimum tool performance
- Can deliver 5 CFM at 90 PSI, 6.9 CFM at 40 PSI for nailing, impacting, and painting
- Lower maintenance, durability, lower fuel consumption, portability make it attractive both for personal and professional use
Industrial Air Contractor CTA5090412 Portable Pontoon Air Compressor is a tiny, portable, gas-powered air compressor with the ability to produce 155 PSI air with greater CFM. 5 HP powerful Honda OHC/ OHV direct-drive motor oil-free motor ensures easy startup in cold weather.
The system consists of a 4 gallons air tank, two pressure gauges, regulator, bar handle to grip, quick connector, and safety valve to release excess pressure. The compressor is ideal for nailing and painting as it can produce 6.9 CFM at 40 PSI. And it is the best for construction sites for its lightweight, powerful gas engine.
- Easy startup in cold weather
- Portable, durable and powerful
- Ideal for construction and farm application
- Higher PSI
- Gas engine pollutes the environment
- No wheels to roll
TIMBERTECH ABPST07, 1/6HP Portable Air Compressor Airbrush Paint System
- Engine: 1/6 Horsepower
- Weight: 7.58 pounds
- Dimension: 12.6 x 11 x 7.1 inches
- Noise level: 47 dB.
- Capacity: 25 L/Min
- 1/6 HP, oil-free single piston air compressor with 47dB ultra-quiet noise level
- Automatic start-up and shut off system reduces the fuel cost, cooling fan decreases the possibility of overheating
- Air filter provides moisture-free, dry air with 0.8 CFM
- Long duty cycle with 25 L/Min air for premium rotor winding
- Best for body painting, craft, toys, paper, flowers, showpiece painting
TIMBERTECH ABPST07Portable Air Compressor Airbrush Paint System is a professional, silent painting system with a 1/6 HP single-stage piston oil-free engine. The system is very lightweight with a combination of aluminum, copper, and steel body.
The whole system carries not only an air compressor but also accompanied by a user manual to run the system smoothly. Again the air filter makes sure the supply of moisture-free air which is a must for even coating.
The system runs with an automatic start and stops system by the pressure switch. When the compressor achieves 58 PSI pressure it stops automatically. Again the start-up pressure is 43 PSI. As a result there is no possibility of blasting the system.
- Best for small object painting
- Super portable
- Ultra quiet
- Powerful Engine
- Lower CFM
- Tiny Storage Tank
- Not for High Volume Air
Powermate Vx PLA4708065 Electric Air Compressor
- Engine: 4.7 HP
- CFM: 16.1 at 40 PSI
- Max Pressure: 155 PSI
- Air Tank: 80 Gallons
- Dimension: 31.5 x 34.75 x 77 inches
- Weight: 354 Pounds
- 7 HP oil-lubricated engine with 240 Volt, 15 amp corded electric power source presents 155 max pressure limits
- Can produce up to 14 CFM compressed air at 90 PSI by which you can operate spray gun continuously
- The cast-iron cylinder body and iron crankcase ensure the durability of the unit
- 80 gallons air tank assures the continuous air-flow for painting, nailing, impacting, and other heavy-duty work
Powermate Vx PLA4708065 80-Gallon Electric Air Compressor comes with 2 years limited warranty with a high airflow of 14 CFM at 90 PSI and a max of 16.1 CFM at 40 PSI. The oiled motor has a 4.7 HP powerful 240Volt engine.
The 80 gallons air receiver tank can produce continuous air-flow for spray painting, impacting, nailing, sanding, and grinding. The body of this giant air compressor is made of cast iron along with a cast iron crankcase.
The whole system consists of a universal pressure switch, slight glass to monitor oil level, oil filling valve, a 12 inches cast iron balanced flywheel, intake filter with silencer to reduce moisture as well as noise.
You will glad to know that the whole shipment comes with synthetic oil. So for painting a large object Powermate Vx PLA4708065 is ideal as it has the capacity to supply continuous airflow for its giant 80 gallons air tank.
- Heavy duty
- High airflow
- Best for car painting
- Not portable
VIVOHOME 4336951560 Professional Airbrushing Paint System
- Engine: 1/5 HP
- Weight: 8.4 Pounds
- Dimension: 7.7 x 3.9 x 6.3 inches
- Capacity: 25L/Min
- Air Volume: 0.88 CFM
- VIVOHOME Professional Airbrushing Paint system is a multitasking airbrush system with an air compressor of 1/5 HP
- It have 3 kinds of fluid tips for spraying, inflating, painting, and airbrushing
- The air filter supplies moisture-free air which ensures the smooth coating
- The system can supply 23 to 25 liter of compressed air with 0.8 CFM
- The machine is ultra-smooth with a noise level of 47 DB
VIVOHOME 4336951560 Professional Airbrushing Paint System is a complete package for craft painting, shoe painting, cake decoration, tattoo making, and small surface painting.
This airbrush system is totally oil-free with a 1/5 HP air compressor which is ultra quiet (only 47 Db). The main advantage of this tiny system is: it can spray paint on any kind of surface like fabric, plastic, leather, wood, metal, mud, and so on.
There is a handle to carry this lightweight system along with the air filter. The whole kit consists of an air hose, 3 kinds of detachable spray guns, an auto pressure switch, and a universal quick connector.
As the system has an automatic pressure switch it turns off automatically when the motor is overheated. So the system is totally safe for both professional as well as hobbyist painters.
- Ultra Quiet
- Low CFM
- Unable to Paint Large Surface
California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Air Compressor
- Horsepower: 2 HP
- Dimension: 16 x 15.1 x 35.9
- Power: 110 volts, 14 amps
- Capacity: 125 PSI, 6.4 CFM Max
- Noise Level: 70 dB
- Super quiet, oil-free 2 HP powerful motor with dual-piston, operates 1700 RMP which reduces noise level to 70 dB
- Portable with two soft rubbers wheels and handle to grab including a lightweight 10 gallons steel tank
- 4 CFM at 40 PSI, 5.3 CFM at 90 PSI capacity with a universal pressure switch
- Two universal, industrial quick connectors to connect two air hose at a time
The new version of California Air Tools 10020C Ultra Quiet Air Compressor comes with a new SP9421 oil-free motor. The powerful 2 HP dual piston motor operates 1700 RMP which makes the compressor ultra-quiet.
The 10 gallons steel tank takes less space and prevents rust than other metals. There are two pressure gauges, two quick connectors for dual operation. Industrial pressure switch reduces the possibility of blasting. The system has an auto as well as a manual drain valve to release moisture.
- Low weight
- Low maintenance cost
- Can run 30 to 60 minutes
- Quiet motor
- Best for running low volume equipment
- Air tank is not suitable for large volume air
- Risk of leakage
Craftsman CMEC6150K 6 Gallon Pancake Air Compressor
- Dimension: 16.5 x 16.5 x 17.88 inches
- Weight: 32.5 pounds, portable
- Tank Size: 6 gallons
- Maximum Pressure: 150 PSI
- Power: Cordless Electric
- Oil-free motor, quick recovery time with 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI, and no maintenance
- Durable, powerful for 150 PSI air pressure, super portable for low weight
- The compressor includes a box of 13 pieces of accessory kit including air hose, blow gun and so on
Craftsman CMEC6150K is a super portable air compressor with only 32.5 pounds weight. Though this air compressor has no wheels to roll on, it has a handle to carry.
This machine has two quick couplers to attach two air hoses at a time. Though the air tank is only 6 gallons it has SCFM 2.6 at 90 PSI. So from this tiny machine, you can get sufficient air for doing inflating, nailing, and impacting.
You will be surprised to know that this tiny compressor can produce a maximum of 150 PSI which is possible to run impact guns, blowguns, and nail guns!
- Super portable compressor
- Best for inflating
- Highest PSI low budget
- Tiny air tank
- Produces loud noise (80-85 dB)
Painting is fun when you have the right air compressor for running your spray gun. There are some factors for consideration when you search for the best air compressor for spray painting.
CFM (the cubic feet per minute) is the unit of measuring the volume of air. Air compressor produces compressed air. And with the term CFM you can find out the average air volume of the air compressor.
Every air tool required a specific CFM to run with the compressed air of an air compressor. Your air compressor must fulfill the need for air tools.
For painting large objects like a car or a house you need continuous airflow to run the paint gun at a stretch. For this reason, you need 14 -18 CFM for both the base coat and clear coat.
Again for small paintings like craft painting, cake decoration, or shoe painting you need only 0.5 to 1 CFM.
Horsepower determines the capacity of an air compressor. The larger the horsepower of the compressor the faster the motor can work. For small painting, you needn’t worry about HP. However, for a car painting your air compressor must have at least 4 HP.
Size of the Project:
The most crucial factor for painting is the dimension of the object which you want to paint. It’s very easy to measure. If the object is small then you can paint it with a 1/5 HP airbrush system.
Again if you want to paint a car or a wall then your air compressor must have higher HP, larger CFM, and last but not least a bigger air tank to supply a continuous flow of air.
Types of Paint Gun:
There are two kinds of paint guns; one is HVLP paint guns, and another is LVLP paint guns.
HVLP paint gun needs high volume at low pressure. On the other hand, LVLP paint guns can work with low volume as well as low pressure.
So before buying an air compressor you need to focus on the types of your paint gun. Or you can select an LVLP paint gun if you want to carry the paint job with an air compressor that has lower CFM.
Air Filter Installation:
In this review article, we have provided you a list of 10 air compressors for painting that all have air filters installed with the system. And an air filter is a must for running paint gun or spray gun.
Do you know why? An air filter separates moisture from compressed air. So you get a smooth texture from the painting. If moisture mixes with the compressed air it will block the paint by clogging which makes the paint jagged.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question: Which is the best air compressor for spray guns?
Answer: The places of application and size of the project is the determiner of what air compressor is suitable for your spray gun.
Question: After selecting the right air compressor how can I buy my product?
Answer: You can easily buy your air compressor simply by ordering on Amazon. In this pandemic time, it’s safe to stay at home and purchase any products from online.
The Final Thoughts:
The best air compressor for spray painting can reduce the workload as well as saves time. Again you can do your inflating, nailing, impacting, and any kind of power task with this air compressor. So if you buy the right one for painting then it can handle almost all the garage jobs. Stay at home and stay connected with powertoolsguyd.