Welcome back to our air compressor review series. In our last review, we have talked about the best air compressor under 300. Today we are here with the best air compressor under 400.
Air compressor is the power source not only for the industrial arena but also for small to large power tools. From inflating to sanding, grinding to finishing, roofing to nailing, all these tasks need the power of compressed air. And an air compressor produces compressed air by reducing the volume of air with compression.
The common problem which all the air compressor users face is the right selection of the air compressor within budget. From our years of experiment on power tools, we are presenting a series of review articles on different budgets by considering the need of the users. Have a look at the article who knows from here you can select the right one for your power tasks.
- 1 Whole Article at a Glance
- 2 Products Review of Best Air Compressor Under 400 Dollars
- 2.1 1. Craftsman CMEC6150K Air Compressor
- 2.2 2. Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor
- 2.3 3. ALL-TOP ATACR180L Portable Air Compressor
- 2.4 4. Twin-Stack P1IU-A9 Portable Air Compressor
- 3 Buying Guide
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- 5 The Closer
Whole Article at a Glance
- Are you a garage owner? Need industrial-grade performance for airbrushing or nailing? Then there is no other alternative to Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor. The 2 HP 4 pole induction motor is able to produce 8 CFM at 40 PSI. So you can get continuous flow from Makita’s MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor.
- Are you searching for a quieter air compressor for your home? Don’t want to irritate your neighbors by the loud noise of a bulky air compressor? Then Twin-Stack P1IU-A9 Portable Air Compressor is one of the best options for you. As the unit is oil-lubricated with lower RMP, it creates only 79 dB noise. And you can use the compressor for dual functions at a time for its two quick couplers.
- And when your main concern is inflating flat tires, then ALL-TOP ATACR180L Portable Air Compressor is the best option for its only 16 pounds weight. You can easily carry it with you and use a car cigarette lighter socket for plugging.
- Searching for a complete solution for nailing and airbrushing? We are presenting for you Craftsman CMEC6150K Air Compressor, which has 13 pieces of accessory kit with the 8 HP air compressor. As this unit carries two blowguns with nozzles, you needn’t buy any other equipment for nailing or dusting.
Products Review of Best Air Compressor Under 400 Dollars
1. Craftsman CMEC6150K Air Compressor
- Capacity: 0.8 HP
- Weight: 30 pounds
- Dimension: 16.5 x 16.5 x 17.88 inches
- Max Pressure: 150 PSI
- CFM: 2.6 at 90 PSI
- Air Tank: 6 Gallons
- Noise Level: 82 dB
- Oil-free, 0.8 HP durable motor ensures the maximum tool performance
- The unit carries a 13 pieces accessory kit which is a complete solution for inflating, airbrushing, nailing, and dusting
- 6 gallons air tank makes sure the continuous generation of air with the CFM rating of 2.6 at 90 PSI
- The unit is super portable with 30 lbs. body weight which requires no maintenance
- 150 max pressure provides adequate cut-in and cuts out pressure even in extremely low temperature
Craftsman CMEC6150K Air Compressor is one of the great options for low-budget air compressors. The shipment unit carries a 13 pieces accessory kit including two blowguns; one is with OSHA safety nozzle, another is with plug and tire gauge, a 25 feet long PVC air hose, a power plug which has a diameter of ¼ inches, a rubber tip for connecting, 3 pieces of inflator adaptor.
The pancake-style air compressor consists of an oil-free, 0.8 HP powerful motor, regulator to control the unit, two pressure gauges; one gauge is for measuring tank pressure, another gauge is for output air pressure, a universal pressure switch for adjusting pressure which has on/off valve, and two quick couplers for supporting two workers at a time. And there has also a safety valve for releasing excess pressure which prevents blasting the whole unit.
- Fastest Recovery
- Light in Weight
- Higher PSI range
- Louder Motor
2. Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor
- Capacity: 2 HP
- Weight: 59.6 pounds
- Dimension: 18 x 22 x 10 inches
- Max Pressure: 130 PSI
- CFM: 3.8 at 40 PSI
- Air Tank: 2.6 Gallon
- Noise Level: 80 dB
- 4 pole induction motor with a direct drive which ensures improved power and longer operating system
- Oil-lubricated, 2 HP powerful direct-drive motor provides industrial-grade tools performance
- The roll bar handle protects the internal parts along with the motor and makes sure the easy portability
- Automotive-style large air filter provides moisture-free air
Makita MAC700 Big Bore Air Compressor is made of cast iron pump with Makita’s Big Bore cylinder, which ensures greater stroke. The oil-lubricated shipment unit consists of a regulator to control the unit, two pressure gauges, one is for measuring the regulator pressure, and another is for tank pressure, oil sight glass for easy measurement of oil level, and a quick coupler to connect the air hose.
There is a 2-gallon steel air tank that has a drain valve to drain out the moisture. And you will be delighted to know that the super-fast unit has a large automotive-style air filter to separate moisture from the air. And you needn’t worry about the oil of the motor as Makita provides synthetic oil with the shipment kit with its 1-year parts and labor warranty.
- Industrial grade performance
- Heavy-duty motor
- Fastest recovery time
- Durable and powerful
- Louder motor causes irritation
- The horizontal shape needs more space to place
3. ALL-TOP ATACR180L Portable Air Compressor
- Motor Capacity: 540 W
- Weight: 16 pounds
- Dimension: 15.2 x 11.5 x 11 inches
- Max Pressure: 150 PSI
- Duty Cycle: 40 Minutes at 40 PSI
- Oil-free, direct drive, the powerful motor provides 150 PSI max pressure by ensuring fast inflating
- Metal shell protects the internal parts of the unit and the aluminum cylinder circulates heat properly
- There is an auto thermal cut-off switch that prevents the motor from blasting
- The super-light (only 16 pounds) unit is perfect for off-road vehicles, trucks, ATVs, motorcycles, bicycles, RVs
When your main concern is inflating any kind of small to large tires, then ALL-TOP ATACR180L Portable Air Compressor is the best option under 400 bucks. And the unit carries a 6.5 feet power cord with battery clamps, 3 nozzle adaptors, a thumb lock adaptor, and a heavy-duty nylon tool bag.
The unit is totally maintenance free for its oil-free configuration. It can provide you maximum duty cycle of 40 minutes at 40 PSI. And this tire inflator is able to produce 150 PSI with the fastest inflating.
So ALL-TOP ATACR180L Portable Air Compressor can alone handle all the tasks of inflating by its superfast configuration of inflating.
- Very tiny and lightweight
- Super portable
- High-pressure configuration
- Fastest inflating
- Not applicable for high-volume tasks
4. Twin-Stack P1IU-A9 Portable Air Compressor
- Capacity: 2 HP
- Weight: 77 lbs.
- Dimension: 19 x 19 x 17 inches
- Max Pressure: 135 PSI
- Air Tank: 4 Gallons
- Noise Level: 79dB
- Oil-lubricated, 2 HP powerful motor ensures the durability of this industrial grade compressor
- The unit is lubricated with synthetic oil, which makes sure 2000 hours of service time
- This unit is super durable for its cast-iron cylinder along with a protective back shroud
- Single-stage, belt drive motor creates a 79 dB noise level, which allows the users to carry a conversation
- The unit is portable with a handle to carry, but there is no wheel to roll on the compressor
Twin-Stack P1IU-A9 Portable Air Compressor is one of the best air compressors under 400 with its cast-iron cylinder. The unit can produce 135 PSI air pressure, which is optimal for inflating, dusting, roof nailing, finish nailing DIY project, and air stapling.
Twin-Stack P1IU-A9 Portable Air Compressor has a cast-iron cylinder with a 4-gallon twin tank. You can easily drain out the moisture simply by opening the drain valve of the tank. There is a regulator panel for two quick couplers for supporting two workers at a time, a regulator to control the unit, two pressure gauges; one is for tank pressure, another is for discharge pressure, a universal pressure switch for adjusting pressure.
As the compressor unit is oil-lubricated, in the shipment you will get synthetic oil along with a 1-year limited warranty.
- No Wheels to Carry
- Heavy in Weight
After completing the review, we are additionally giving you a buying guide. This guide will be very helpful, especially for beginners at the time of selecting the right air compressor.
The Capacity of the Compressor
What you need to focus on before selecting an air compressor is the capacity of that compressor. The capacity of an air compressor is expressed by the terms PSI, CFM, and Horsepower.
PSI is the unit of air pressure that expresses how much air pressure can be given by the compressor per square inch. Most of one stage air compressors have 120 to 150 PSI. On the other hand, two-stage air compressors have more than 150 PSI capacity.
CFM is the unit of air volume. It refers that how much compressed air is produced per minute by the compressor. And most garage tools require 1.00 to 5.00 CFM air to run flawlessly.
And last but not least, horsepower. It expresses that how fast the motor can fill the tank. The required horsepower for garage tools is 0.5 to 2.00 HP.
The Air tank stores the compressed air within it. So the larger the tank is, the more flow of air you will get. But if the tank is too big, you cannot move the compressor easily. The precise size of the tank for the garage compressor is 2 gallons to 6 gallons.
Places of Applications
The places of application are the greatest determiner of the selection of an air compressor. For garage applications, small to medium air compressor is the best.
If your main concern is inflating or nailing, then select any portable air compressor. And if you want to make plumbing diagram, then you need to choose a stationary one.
Again, if you want to do professional painting, then you need a bigger air tank. On the other hand, if you are a hobbyist painter, then you can use your pancake air compressor.
Follow the Manual Book
Reading the manual book as well as following the instructions of the user manual is the foremost role in operating an air compressor. In the manual book, you can find what to do and what not to do. And it’s very useful for the new users.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: What is the CFM of an air compressor?
Answer: CFM is the unit of air volume produced per minute by the air compressor.
Question: What is the required CFM of garage air tools?
Answer: Most garage tools need 1.00 to 5.00 CFM.
Question: What is the appropriate horsepower for garage tools?
Answer: 0.5 to 2.00 HP is enough for running all the garage tools.
Question: Portable or stationary, which air compressor is the best for home appliances?
Answer: Portable air compressors are lightweight. For this reason, you can easily carry them from one place to another. So they are the best option for home appliances. On the other hand, stationary air compressors are expensive and powerful.
Selecting the right air compressor is not rocket science. But most of the air compressor users have so many confusions on how to select the right air compressor! First of all, what you need to do is focusing on the area of applications. After that, focus on the CFM as well as the PSI of your air tools.
In this review, we have provided you with the topmost 4 air compressors by showing the pros and cons. So you can easily select the best air compressor under 400 either for your home garage or for your industrial applications considering their capacity. Feel free to share your experience as well as your queries with us.