All automobile users feel the need for a battery-powered air compressor when the tire needs to inflation. And nothing is more irritating than a flat tire in the middle of the road. To find out the lifetime solution for inflating, today we are here with the best battery powered air compressor.
Though thousands of battery-powered air compressors are available on the market, all the compressors don’t have the configuration of fulfilling the need for inflating. Tire inflators must be portable, handy, and compact, and have faster airflow. By considering the need for inflating we are going to present 6 compact air compressors from our experiment. So let’s see the pros and cons of the compressors in a quick glance.
- 1 Quick Look
- 2 Reviewing The Best Battery Powered Air Compressor
- 2.1 1. AVID POWER ACAP115D Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- 2.2 2. AstroAI ASIA220B-AU Air Compressor Tire Inflator
- 2.3 3. DEWALT DCC020IB 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator
- 2.4 4. DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCC2560T1 Air Compressor Kit
- 2.5 5. WORKSITE WCAP334 Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- 2.6 6. C P CHANTPOWER CHP110D Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- 3 Buying Guide
- 3.1 Battery Powered Air Compressor; What and Why
- 3.2 Places of Application
- 3.3 The Requirements of the Project
- 3.4 The CFM Range
- 3.5 The PSI
- 3.6 The Motor Capacity
- 3.7 Source of Power
- 3.8 Battery Capacity
- 3.9 Noise Level
- 3.10 Cord Length
- 3.11 Tank Size
- 3.12 Portability
- 3.13 Auto Shut Off vs. Manual Shut Off
- 3.14 Digital Display Unit vs. Manual Display Unit
- 3.15 LED Flashlight
- 4 How to Use Battery Powered Air Compressor
- 4.1 Method of Nailing with a Battery Powered Air Compressor
- 4.2 Method of Dusting by a Battery Powered Air Compressor
- 4.3 The Method of Inflating by a Battery Powered Air Compressor
- 4.4 The Advantages of Using Battery Powered Air Compressor
- 4.5 The Disadvantage of Battery Powered Air Compressor
- 4.6 Tips to Follow for Getting Longer Lifespan
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 To Sum Up
- Are you searching for a pancake-style cordless air compressor for nailing and inflating? Then we are here with DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCC2560T1 Air Compressor Kit, which is cordless with a heavy-duty brushless motor. The 2.5 gallons air tank has SCFM ratings of 1.2 at 90 PSI.
- DEWALT DCC020IB 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator is both a corded and cordless one for its 3 power connection of AC/ 12 V DC and 20 V Lithium-ion battery.
- AVID POWER ACAP115D Tire Inflator Air Compressor unit has a dual power connection which has only 1.8 KG body weight. This compact unit ensures fast inflating by the solid dual motor.
- When you need a quieter work environment then there is no other alternative than AstroAI ASIA220B-AU Air Compressor Tire Inflator. This compact unit has only 36 dB noise production. The digital gauge shows the reading on 4 units. And the automatic shut-off system prevents blasting.
Reviewing The Best Battery Powered Air Compressor
1. AVID POWER ACAP115D Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- Body Weight: 1.8 KG
- Dimension: 14.19 x 10.55 x 3.93 inches
- Power: 20 Volt Rechargeable Battery and 12 Volts DC
- Max PSI: 100 PSI
AVID POWER ACAP115D Tire Inflator Air Compressor is a cordless unit with a dual power source. The compressor unit is a complete solution for inflating and dusting for its solid dual motor. You can inflate tires of cars, sedans, bikes, bicycles, and SUVs along with other inflatable sports materials, inflatable mattresses, and pools.
The unit has an auto shut-off system that means the compressor will automatically shut off after reaching the pre-set pressure level. And the digital pressure gauge helps to read out the reading even in darkness.
The most attractive feature of this 1.8 KG unit is the dual power. You can power the unit with a 12 Volt car cigarette lighter if the 20 Volts rechargeable battery gets down in the middle of the road. And for power connection, the manufacturer provides a 20 Volt Lithium-ion battery pack, charger, a 12 V power adapter, inflating needle, a tool bag for easy carrying, an air hose with high-volume configuration, and a user manual.
- Fastest inflating for solid dual motor
- Cordless, rechargeable battery
- Super handy unit
- Supports 20 volts cigarette lighter
- Digital pressure gauge
- LED flashlight rescues at dark
- Automatic shut off configuration
- Cannot inflate too big tires
2. AstroAI ASIA220B-AU Air Compressor Tire Inflator
- Dimension: 8.43 x 6.61 x 4.17 inches
- Body Weight: 2.2 Pounds
- Pressure: 100 PSI
- Power: 12 V DC
- Capacity: 50 Cubic Centimeters
- Noise Level: 36 dB
AstroAI ASIA220B-AU Air Compressor is a corded electric portable tire inflator. This handy unit is a complete solution for inflating inflatable toys, balloons, pools, and mattresses as it can run for 15 minutes continuously. The unit is fully automotive with a large LCD unit along with an auto-shut-off configuration. And the gauge shows 4 units of reading include KPA, PSI, BAR, KG/ CM.
AstroAI ASIA220B-AU Air Compressor unit has an integrated flashlight that helps the user in an emergency. And as a source of power, you need to use a car cigarette lighter socket with the 9.84 feet power cord. The shipment unit carries a digital tire inflator, 3 pieces of nozzle adaptors, replacement fuse, valve extender, quick coupler, screw rotation attach switch, and last but not least, the user manual book.
- Super handy inflator
- Longer working time (15 minutes continuously)
- Digital Monitor with LCD Light
- LED flashlight
- Automatic shut off
- Fastest inflating
- Needs only 5 mins to reach 0 PSI to 35 PSI
- Noise-free unit
- Not battery supportive unit
- Low Air Volume
- Corded electric, not cordless
3. DEWALT DCC020IB 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator
- Dimension: 10.5 x 7.7 x 2.2 inches
- Weight: 2.94 Pounds
- Max Pressure: 290 PSI
- Power: 12 V DC/ 120 V AC/ 20 V lithium-ion Battery Cell
DEWALT DCC020IB 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator is a multitasker compressor with its 3 power sources. This handy air compressor unit can be powered with a 12 V car cigarette lighter socket, 20 V lithium-ion cell, and with 120 Volts home outlet. So you can call the unit either a cordless or a corded one.
The portable unit can fill inflatable toys like football, inflatable mattress, pool and can blow out microscopic dust. This air compressor is fully digital with an auto shut-off configuration and a digital gauge ensures the accurate reading. And the high-volume air hose provides the fastest inflation with high pressure. The handy unit is rust-free for heavy-duty rubber feet.
Though the unit can run with a Lithium-ion battery, the manufacturer does not provide any battery cell or charger adapter with the unit. With the shipment, you will get a 12 V DC power cord, a high-pressure tapered nozzle, a needle inflator, 1 piece of Presta valve adaptor.
- Onboard LED Flashlight
- Push of Bottom
- Rust-free for rubber feet
- Digital pressure gauge ensures accurate reading
- Super portable
- Can connect with AC, DC, and Battery
- Cordless & Corded Unit
- Battery, charger, and adapter are not included
4. DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCC2560T1 Air Compressor Kit
- Size of Air Tank: 2.5 Gallons
- Max SCFM: 1.2 SCFM at 90 PSI
- Peak PSI: 135 PSI
- Noise Level: 79 dB
- Dimension of the Product: 15 x 12 x 18 inches
- Body Weight: 21.5 Pounds
DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCC2560T1 Air Compressor Kit is one of the best cordless air compressors for its brushless motor with a heavy-duty pump. The cordless air compressor unit consists of two pressure gauges, one is for measuring tank pressure, and another is for regulator pressure, a safety valve to release excess pressure for preventing blasting, the 2.5 gallons metal air tank with drain valve, the rust-free rubber feet allows easy mobility.
This cordless, oil-free air compressor is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. With one recharge, you can drive 1220 nails. And the shipment carries a unit of DCC22560 Air Compressor, one piece of DCB606 FLEXVOLT, and a Lithium-ion battery with a fast charge. So DEWALT FLEXVOLT DCC2560T1 Air Compressor kit is a perfect solution for brad nailing, roofing, air stapling, and framing nailing.
- One turn regulator
- Easy to operate
- Fastest Recovery
- Very light-weight unit
- Provides 3 years warranty
- Easy to handle
- Air tank ensures the continuous flow of air
- Does not support AC or home outlet
5. WORKSITE WCAP334 Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- Weight of the Unit: 5.09 Pounds
- Dimension: 10.71 x 9.33 x 6.06 inches
- Battery Capacity: 2000 mAh
- Max Pressure: 150 PSI
- Power: 20 V DC/ 20 V Battery
- Air Flow: 30 LPM
WORKSITE WCAP334Tire Inflator Air Compressor is one of the best battery-powered air compressors for its fast inflation with a dual power supply. The compressor unit is not only for car tires or bike tire inflating but also for inflating sports balls, toys, and inflatable mattresses.
For inflating different inflatable objects, the shipment unit carries different types of inflatable nozzles. And the unit is powered with a 20V 2000 mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery. If the charge of the battery vanishes in the middle of the road, you can plug the compressor with the 12V car cigarette lighter socket.
The portable unit has a digital display unit for showing an accurate reading. And the motor automatically shuts off when the pump reaches the pre-set pressure. It only needs 5 minutes to reach 0 to 35 PSI. And the bright LED flashlight with SOS configuration helps the users in an emergency.
- Multiple Inflating
- LED flashlight with SOS mode
- Fastest inflating with dual power supply
- Provides charger, battery nozzle adapter, and user manual
- 2 years of warranty
- Powerful battery
- LCD digital display for accurate reading
- Cannot inflate the truck tire
- Not powered with home outlet
6. C P CHANTPOWER CHP110D Tire Inflator Air Compressor
- Package Dimension: 14.06 x 10.47 x 3.9 inches
- Body Weight: 4.93 Pounds
- Max PSI: 100 PSI
- Rate of Airflow: 30 L/Min
- Battery Capacity: 2000 mAh
- Power: 20 V Battery
C P CHANTPOWER CHP110D Tire Inflator Air Compressor is a cordless air compressor for tires with dual power of DC and a 2000 mAh battery. The compressor ensures fast inflation with its upgraded powerful motor.
C P CHANTPOWER CHP110D Tire Inflator Air Compressor is a multi-functional inflating device by which you can not only inflate a car or bicycle tire but also it can fill other inflatable objects like toys, inflatable pools, and mattresses.
This compressor unit has a large LCD screen for an accurate reading. And the auto cut-off system stops the motor automatically when it reaches the preset pressure. And the shipment unit of the rechargeable air compressor carries a 2000 mAh lithium-ion battery, 4 extra nozzles, and a carry bag for safer storage of the handy unit.
- Complete kit for inflating
- LED light
- Additional nozzles
- Stronger, oil-free motor
- Fastest inflation at 30L/Min
- Portable and rechargeable
- Easy to operate
- Digital display unit with LCD light
- Not for inflating the big truck tire
After having a quick view of the products you may confuse that, on what basis you should take the right air compressor. For clarifying all your confusion we are additionally providing you with a buying guide which will be very helpful for novice users.
Battery Powered Air Compressor; What and Why
Battery-powered air compressors are the smallest member of the air compressor family. As we know, an air compressor is a powerful tool that works by sucking the atmospheric air. And this air gets compressed with the rotation of the motor.
Compressed air carries a huge amount of potential energy. With the force of this energy, different air tools run. Now the question is what’s the specification of a battery-powered air compressor is.
Battery-powered air compressors are run by the battery cells. These air compressors are rechargeable. The feature which makes a battery-powered air compressor filmier to the user is the cordless, compact design.
Places of Application
Now the question is, why do we need a battery-powered air compressor? Cannot we run our power tools with a corded electric air compressor?
Battery-powered air compressors are rechargeable. You can work 30 minutes to 50 minutes continuously without connecting with any power source.
For inflating flat tires, inflatable toys, balloons, air mattress, battery-powered air compressors are mostly used. As they are cordless, it’s easy to carry the compact unit. And even you can run your inflating where electricity is not available. For this reason, in construction sites, battery-powered air compressors are used for nailing and dusting.
The Requirements of the Project
What you need to focus on before buying an air compressor is the requirement of the project. For inflating car tires as well as inflatable toys, a battery-powered air compressor with low CFM is enough. However, for inflating truck tires, you need more airflow. So what you need is a powerful tire inflator with higher CFM.
And for nailing and air stapling, you need at least 150 PSI max pressure. For this reason, focus on the requirements of the project, like CFM, PSI, horsepower, and the portability of the compressor.
The CFM Range
CFM (the Cubic feet per minute) is the unit of volume of air that means the flow of air. Every air tool needs a specific CFM rating to run with the flow of compressed air.
Garage tools need 0.5 to 5.00 CFM ratings. And for inflating a flat tire, your tire inflator must have 0.5 to 1.00 CFM ratings.
PSI (the pounds per square inch) is another scale that determines the pressure level of an air compressor. An air compressor is the source of compressed air. And this compressed air has a specific pressure while flowing through the outlet valve.
The more air pressure the compressed air has, the faster the power tool can finish the work. Single-stage air compressors have a max PSI range of 150. And two-stage air compressors have a max PSI of 175. Battery-powered air compressors are rated with a max of 100 to 150 PSI levels.
The required PSI for running with an air compressor of a power tool is leveled on the body of that tool. For inflating flat tires, you need 30 to 32 PSI in summer. And in winter you need 32 to 35 PSI for the low moisture of the air. And a battery-powered air compressor needs only 5 minutes to reach 0 PSI to 35 PSI.
The Motor Capacity
The capacity of an air compressor is expressed with the term horsepower. The more horsepower the compressor has, the faster the motor can fill the tank. Powerful, single-stage air compressors have 5 HP to 100 HP capacity. And garage air compressors are rated with 0.5 to 5.00 HP. On the other hand battery powered air compressors are rated with less than 0.5 HP not having an additional air receiver tank.
Source of Power
Battery-powered air compressors have rechargeable batteries. For recharging the battery, you need to use the charger with an adapter. You can recharge the batteries with a PC, or laptop, or with a home outlet.
And most manufacturers provide 12 Volts DC power cords along with batteries. That means you can use the car cigarette lighter socket for using the compressor when the battery charge is very low. For the progress of research and newer innovation, there are some battery-powered air compressors that can power with 120 Volt AC current which means home outlet, 12 Volt DC current with the side of the battery.
Battery capacity is expressed with mAh which means milliampere per hour. The air compressors that we reviewed in the article, all are powered by a 20 Volts lithium-ion battery cell. And most of them have a battery capacity of 2000 mAh.
For getting fully charged you need only 3 hours of charging the compressor. And with the fully recharged battery, you can continuously run the compressor from 30 minutes to 50 minutes. Inflating a flat tire need only 5 to 6 minutes. So with a fully recharged air compressor, you can inflate a car two times to three times.
Every air compressor creates noise while running. For the rotation of the motor, noise is produced. And RPM (Rotation per minute) of an air compressor express the rotation rate. The lower the rotation is, the quieter the compressor is!
Garage air compressors have a noise range from 60 dB to 90 dB. And battery-powered air compressors are noise-free for 35 to 40 dB noise which is tolerable for human hearing.
The cord of a battery-powered air compressor is also essential. You may ask if the compressor is cordless then why we need a cord. Yes, a battery power air compressor for inflating also has a power cord as well as an air hose to inflate. The length of both cords is essential for the fastest inflating.
For additional support, battery-powered air compressors have a power cord connection. The reason behind the cord connection is if the battery charge has gone out on the middle of the road, you can connect it with the car cigarette lighter socket. Normally, the cord length of the power plug is not less than 300 cm or 9 feet.
And the air hose length is another essential precondition for inflating for the fastest filling. Normally, the air hose is provided by the manufacturer with the shipment kit. And a PVC air hose at least 50 cm long is adequate for tire inflating. If the cord is too long, then it needs more time and power to inflate the tire by reaching the preset pressure.
The air tank of an air compressor stores compressed air inside. The larger the tank is, the more continuous airflow you can get. And most garage air compressors have 6 gallons to 50 gallons air tank. CFM and air tank are co-relative with each other.
The battery-powered air compressor does not have an additional air tank to store air. So they work with the force of compressed air directly. As these air compressors have no separate air tank, the CFM ratings of battery-powered air compressors are also lower.
The portability of an air compressor is a crying need for inflating and nailing as you need to carry the unit from one place to another. And all the battery-powered air compressors are super portable and compact for the light bodyweight. So you can carry your battery-powered air compressor simply by placing it on the dashboard of the car or the basket of the bicycle. And most of the shipment kit carries a bag for carrying the unit.
Auto Shut Off vs. Manual Shut Off
Auto shut off means the compressor will automatically shut down when it reaches the pre-set pressure. What you need to do is the setting the required PSI of the tire. And when the compressor reaches the pre-set pressure, the motor will automatically shut off. This configuration saves the compressor from blasting by overpressure.
On the other hand, a manual shut-off system is complex and not safe. As the motor needs to shut down by switching the bottom, you need to be very careful while operating. If the pressure exceeds the requirement of the tire, then the tire, along with the compressor has a high chance of blasting.
To prevent the risk of blasting, we have recommended air compressors that have automatic shut-off configurations.
Digital Display Unit vs. Manual Display Unit
The digital display unit is the most attractive feature of a battery-powered air compressor. Do you know what a digital display is? Digital display unit means the reading is shown on the monitor of the compressor automatically while running. And with a digital display unit, you can read the reading of the pressure in the dark for having an LCD monitor.
On the contrary manual display unit does not have an LCD monitor to read the pressure level. And in darkness, it’s tough to find out the accurate reading of a manual display unit and pressure gauge.
LED flashlight is a very essential configuration of battery-powered air compressor. You may ask why a battery-powered air compressor needs an LED flash. Okay, I’m going to clarify the confusion.
Most often battery-powered air compressors are used for inflating flat tires. And at night time in the middle of the road, an air compressor with LED flashing can save you from horrible darkness. You can easily inflate the tire by the ray of light. Even it can play the role of rescuer by its SOS mode if you lost the way. You can easily get help by sending the SOS signal.
How to Use Battery Powered Air Compressor
The proper method of working with an air compressor unit makes the project easier and efficient. And with a battery-powered air compressor, you can not only do inflating job but also can do nailing and dusting. And now we are going to show the using procedures of a battery-powered air compressor for nailing, dusting, and inflating.
Method of Nailing with a Battery Powered Air Compressor
- First of all, check out that if the compressor is fully charged or not
- If the unit is not charged then recharge the battery
- After fully charged take the compressor and connect the one end of the air hose with the outlet valve of the compressor
- Set the nail gun by loading the magazine
- Connect another coupler of the air hose with the nail gun
- Then turn on the compressor by switching the on/off button
- After that, press the trigger of the nail guns and carry on nailing
- And after finishing your work, turn off the compressor, unplug the air hose from the nail guns, remove the hose from the compressor and store it in a dry place
Method of Dusting by a Battery Powered Air Compressor
- Dusting with a cordless air compressor is very handy. What you need is the point the trigger of the air hose on the microscopic dust. Need the right air compressor for dusting? Then click on the best air compressor for cleaning PC.
The Method of Inflating by a Battery Powered Air Compressor
For inflating a flat tire, the best choice of all the auto owners is the battery-powered air compressor. And inflating a flat tire is nothing but a mixture of some tricks and tips.
- First of all, set the compressor by connecting the air hose
- After that, remove the cap of the tire nozzle and place the nozzle in a safe place so that you can find them after inflating
- Connect the other end of the hose
- The gauge shows the pressure level of the tire
- Set the required PSI of the compressor
- For summer, 32 PSI is adequate and for winter 32-35 PSI is needed
- Switch on the compressor
- As the compressor is with an automatic shut-off system, the motor will automatically shut down after reaching the pre-set pressure
- Then remove the hose from the nozzle of the tire
- You will hear a hiss sound that releases the excess pressure from the tire
- After that, put the cap of the tire nozzle, unplug the hose from the compressor, and store it
- You can inflate balloons, toys, inflatable mattresses, and inflatable pools by the same method of inflating
The Advantages of Using Battery Powered Air Compressor
- Battery-powered air compressors are compact and handy
- Very low price and need no maintenance cost
- Battery-powered air compressors are oil-free
- The cordless unit ensures efficiency of inflating
- Need no power connection while running
- Can replace battery
- Rechargeable battery easy to recharge
- Has alternative power cord for AC and DC power connection
The Disadvantage of Battery Powered Air Compressor
- Battery-powered air compressors have lower CFM for not having an additional air tank
- Not suitable for running powerful power tools
- The engine is not stronger
- Horsepower is very low
- Not for continuous work
Tips to Follow for Getting Longer Lifespan
A battery-powered air compressor can give you a longer lifespan if you properly handle the unit. Here is a list of proper maintenance of portable battery-powered air compressors.
- Water is the greatest enemy of metal. And as the compressor unit is made of metal never keep the compressor in a wet place.
- Don’t run the compressor for more than 15 minutes
- After every 15 minutes, shut off the compressor and give it rest for 5 minutes
- Don’t store the compressor until the engine is fully cooled down
- Clean out the valves on a regular basis so that the compressed air does not clog while operating
- Always use the right chuck according to the size of the nozzle
- Check out the valve and the air hose in a routine way
- Clean the body of the compressor once or twice a week so that rust cannot affect the unit.
- Never exceed the preset pressure of the tire for preventing blasting
- Carefully observe the display unit so that the pressure level does not exceed the required level
- Check out the battery frequently and if the battery gets damaged then change it
- Before operating check out the power cord as well as air hose
- Connect the compressor with the right power source according to the recommendation of the manufacturer
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: What size tire inflator do I need?
Answer: The size of a tire inflator cannot determine its capacity. The faster the inflator can reach the required PSI, the more suitable the unit is for inflating.
Question: Corded or cordless which air compressor is the best?
Answer: Cordless air compressors are handier than corded ones. On the other hand, corded air compressors are more powerful. And for inflating, dusting, and nailing cordless air compressors are the best.
Question: How much of a battery-powered air compressor?
Answer: For having a good quality battery-powered air compressor, you need to spend no more than 50 bucks as the price of battery-powered air compressors is not high.
Question: What is the PSI of a battery-powered air compressor?
Answer: For inflating and nailing battery-powered air compressors are the best. And most battery-powered air compressors have 100 PSI to 150 PSI max pressure.
Question: What size air tank is suitable for the home garage?
Answer: An air compressor with a tank size of 6 gallons to 10 gallons is suitable for a home garage.
To Sum Up
Battery-powered air compressors are maintenance-free and cheaper. And with the compact unit, you can do inflating, dusting, and nailing. But selecting the right air compressor according to the need is the most challenging for the users.
The best battery powered air compressor can save your time and money from standing on the long line of filling stations. And we have recommended car tire inflating compressors. On our next review entitled with best onboard air compressor for truck, we will be back with the topmost 10 powerful tire inflators. Till then share your queries regarding inflating on the comment section.