If you want to know about how air purifiers work or even if you don’t know what air purifier is, then no worries! You are at the right place! Hola!
- 1 What is air purifier?
- 2 How do air purifier work?
- 3 How do industrial air purifiers work
- 4 Do air purifiers really work?
- 5 Air purifier benefits:
- 6 How do I choose an air purifier?
- 7 How long does it take for air purifier to work?
- 8 Do air purifiers work for dust?
- 9 Do air purifier help with smoke ? or Will an air purifier get rid of smoke smell
- 10 Can air purifiers be harmful?
- 11 Is it safe to leave an air purifier on all night
- 12 Are air purifiers a waste of money
What is air purifier?
An air purifier is an air cleaning or purifying device. It removes airborne pollutants such as harmful and toxic dust, bacteria, odor, etc. from the air. The air purifier works as a protective shield. It protects us from all the harmful dust, bacteria, viruses, pollen and spores.
How do air purifier work?
Air purifiers consist of a filter or more and a fan. Filters contain paper and fiber. The filter contains fine sieves that use the fan to inhale air. It then circulates pure air through the surrounding after purifying. The finer sieve is, the smaller airborne particles it can trap.
The filters of the purifier need frequent replacement. Changes of filters depend on the purifier types. There are some reusable and washable filters. For removing larger particles like dust or pollens, reusable filters are best. There are also UV filters, which destroy microbiological particles.
There are various types of filters. They are :
- High-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) filter
- Filter HVAC
HEPA filters can remove 99.97% of 0.3-micrometer particles. It is more productive for removing larger particles. HEPA removes rough pollutants using a simply cleaned filter called prefilter. This filter does not need frequent cleaning or replacing. It also does not generate harmful substances as a byproduct. These purifiers work best for allergens.
Filter HVAC above MERV 14 or 14 can remove 0.3 micrometers or larger particles at a rate of 75%.
How do industrial air purifiers work
- Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation(UVGI) – UVGI purifies the air by using a fan to force the air through the UV light.
2. Activated carbon – This is a substance that can absorb molecular chemicals, not the larger particles. It does not remove dust or allergens. This substance is being used at room temperature. When using activated carbon, the absorption process must reach equilibrium. Otherwise, removing pollutants may be a bit difficult.
3. Polarized- media electronic air cleaners – Using safe 24 – volt DC voltage these cleaners establish the polarizing electric field. In this process, no ozone gas is produced.
4. Photocatalytic oxidation(PCO) – Organic pollutants are completely oxidized and degraded by the photocatalytic oxidation. It is not a filtering technology, that is it does not remove particles. Sometimes for air purification, some other filters are joined with it. Photocatalytic oxidation is commercially expansive.
5. Photoelectrochemical oxidation – This technology creates electrochemical interactions among catalyst and reactive species. Thus, improves quantum efficiency. For the light source, They use lower energy UVA radiation. But they are also very effective.
6. Ionizer purifiers –These purifiers use electrically charged surfaces. It generates electrically charged air or gas ion. Airborne particles are attached to these ions. Then electrostatically they are attracted by a charged collector plate. Ozone gas and other by-products are produced in this process. But the ozone gas is produced less than 0.05 ppm, which is not harmful to the environment.
7. Immobilized cell technology – This technology removes microfine particulate matter from the air.
8. Ozone generators – These generators produce ozone gas. They are sold as whole-house air cleaners. They produce a strong oxidant gas, ozone from oxygen. It uses high voltage electric currents. This ozone oxidizes other chemicals. These types of generators remove smoke odors or musty smells. Be careful while buying an air purifier that produces ozone gas, as ozone gas is not healthy for the environment and harmful to breathe.
9. Titanium dioxide (TiO2) – they absorb acidic gases and neutralize them. This creates toxic gas-free environment.
10. Thermodynamic sterilization (TSS) – This technology uses Heat Sterilization. Heating is done at 200 degrees Celsius or 392 degrees Fahrenheit. It is done via a ceramic core with microcapillaries. This system removes up to 99.9 % microbiological particles. By the natural process of air convection, the air is passed through the ceramic core. Using heat transfer plates, this air is cooled. This technology is not a filtering technology, that is it does not remove particles. Harmful by-product is not produced by this technology.
Air purifier utilizes this technology for trapping particles from the air. Three types of cleaners that use electrical attraction. They are:
- Electrostatic precipitation cleaners.
- Electric filters
- Negative ion generator
Electrostatic precipitation cleaners
The filter of this purifier attracts airborne particles. These particles are charged with a series of high voltage wires. An opposite electrical charge from several other plates attracts these particles. While using this purifier no need to worry about the costly replacement like HEPA filter. But one of its demerits is it creates ozone gas as a by-product.
- Electric filters- This filter attracts particles by creating static charge using synthetic fibers. There are different types of electric filters like plain, pleated, disposable or reusable.
2. Negative ion generator – This purifier creates negative charged gas molecules by using tiny charged wires. These molecules trap airborne particles in the filter. This filter is not effective against gases, chemicals or odors.
Do air purifiers really work?
Human inhales and exhales about 7-8 liters of air per minute. But we know how polluted air is. For this, our best defense against indoor air pollution is an air purifier. They remove up to 99 percent of airborne pollution. Air purifiers are useful for people having asthma or allergies.
How do you know if air purifier is working?
If the filter of the air purifier contains dust or debris, then we can say that air purifiers are working. Clean the air purifier, if there is too much dust in the filter of the air purifier.
Air purifier benefits:
- An air purifier cleans the air by removing harmful particles. There are huge loads of dust always circulating in the air. They are harmful to allergenic patients or even harmful to a healthy person. But the air purifier which solves all the problem.
- It also removes unpleasant odors. Who wants their house to be stinky? I hope no one. The air purifier removes all types of odors like the burnt smell, fishy smell, etc.
- It also removes airborne allergens from the air. Some of you may have a furry friend! But this furry friend may release airborne allergens into the air of your house. but the air purifiers which trap these airborne allergens from the surrounding.
- The air purifier neutralizes smokes. Do any of your family members love to smoke? But not to say, this smoke makes your house smelly! But air purifiers can trap the smoke and purify your air.
- They remove 99 percent of the airborne bacteria from the air. Microbiological particles can float around with the air. This may cause your family to get sick. But Air purifiers clean the room trapping up to 99 percent of these pollutants.
- The air purifier keeps the lungs healthy. Airborne particles can cause a problem in breathing and affect health. But air purifier makes sure your health along with lungs is healthy.
- Air purifier comes in various sizes and features. So, they fit in all the places.
How do I choose an air purifier?
Air purifiers are available in different prices and features. While buying an air purifier, keep the below given important factors in mind.
- HEPA filter of a good quality
- An activated carbon filter for removing gaseous pollutants
- Enough air volume
- Replacement costs of filters.
- The clean-air-delivery rate(CADR) rate must be at least 300 or above 350.
How long does it take for air purifier to work?
An air purifier can take 30 minutes to two hours to clean the room. But Air purifier needs to be running 24 hours if you are at home as airborne particles always circulate. Check the user manuals guide for more information.
Do air purifiers work for dust?
Dust is everywhere. No matter how much one cleans the room, there will always be dust. But Air purifier cleans this dust. The air purifier with HEPA filter cleans dust from the environment. HVAC filter removes larger particles from the air.
Do air purifier help with smoke ? or Will an air purifier get rid of smoke smell
Smoke is harmful to human health. Smoke also creates an unpleasant odor. But Air purifiers neutralizes smoke from the air and protects us and our loved ones.
Can air purifiers be harmful?
Air purifiers are not harmful, rather they are very useful. They clean up the dust, germs, bacteria from the environment. Air purifiers also help with the allergens. The air purifier removes unpleasant odor and smokes. Air purifiers create a clean environment in the room.
Is it safe to leave an air purifier on all night
Yes, it is safe to leave an air purifier on all night. Many purifiers also have a sleep mode, so it’s better to turn that on at night while sleeping. Keep the air purifiers turned on all day and night to get the environment clean.
Are air purifiers a waste of money
Air purifier can’t be a waste of money, rather every household should have an air purifier. The air purifier purifies the whole room. It creates a clean environment for safe breathing. How air purifiers work to keep the home clean is fascinating.