A portable air compressor is the latest addition to the air compressor family. The main feature of a portable air compressor is the portability which makes it attractive to all the users. Can you tell me how does a portable air compressor work?
Most of us have the misconception that portable air compressors are tiny. But all the portable air compressors are not pancaked air compressors. Both piston and rotary-type air compressors have portable models. So the working principle of all the portable air compressors is not the same at all.
Portable air compressors are moveable. So these air compressors are the best choice for construction work. Even you needn’t worry about the electrical connection. Most portable air compressors have powerful diesel engines.
In this article, we will show you the working diagram of all types of portable air compressors in brief. Hence let’s have a gaze at the article.
- 0.1 Portable Air Compressors; the Greatest Innovation of Modern Science:
- 1 Portable Air Compressors Working Formula:
- 1.1 Working Diagram of Portable Piston Air Compressor:
- 1.2 Portable Single-Stage Piston Air Compressor: the Working Illustration:
- 1.3 Portable Two-Stage / Multi-Stage Piston Air Compressor: the Working Procedure
- 1.4 Working Formula of Portable Rotary Air Compressors:
- 2 Portable Vs. Stationary: Which is the Best?
- 2.1 Tips of Maintenance of a Portable Air Compressor:
- 2.2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- 2.2.1 Question 1: Is it possible to run a portable air compressor with electricity?
- 2.2.2 Question 2: What is the area of application of portable air compressors?
- 2.2.3 Question 3: Which air compressor is the best for running small home appliances?
- 2.2.4 Question 4: Oiled vs. oil-free, which type of compressor’s motor is suitable for use?
- 3 The Closure:
Portable Air Compressors; the Greatest Innovation of Modern Science:
- Portable air compressors are special for their movability. These air compressors are easily moveable from one place to another place. So they are the best source of compressed air in construction sites. Because you cannot carry a stationary air compressor from one site to another.
Figure: Portable Mini Air Compressor
- There are huge varieties of portable air compressors. Portable piston air compressors are designed for running home appliances. Most of them are mini air compressors. And there are also some medium-sized air compressors with the tank of 20 to 50 gallons. They have moveable wheels as well as flexible handles.
- You will be surprised to see some giant-sized portable air compressors. They are specially designed for construction sites. Like road construction, bridge, and culvert assembly, mine extraction sites, and so on. Most of these air compressors are rotary type.
Figure: Portable Rotary Air Compressor for Construction Sites
- Construction air compressors are powerful machines. They have a larger air tank to store more compressed air. So you will get a continuous flow of air from a rotary-type portable air compressor. And of course, these giant compressors have powerful machines with 10 HP to 550 HP capacity.
Functions of Portable Air Compressors:
- We have already seen that portable air compressors are suitable for personal areas to construction sites. A portable air compressor with a tank size of 30 gallons can run almost all the power tools of your garage. You can do the inflating job, running paint guns, nailer guns, air hammers, etc. with a portable medium-sized air compressor.
- Portable mini air compressors are the cutest ones. These small hand tools are also known as pancake air compressors. If your task is to do a cleaning job or inflating job like filling flat tires, pools, toys then there is no other alternative than a pancake air compressor.
- And you can easily make your own pancake air compressor. What you need to do is following the method properly. Do you want to get fun by making your own air compressor? Just click how to make a mini air compressor at home with a few common stuff. And it works like a professional air compressor. If you can make one, then it will handle all the cleaning and inflating tasks indeed.
- And of course, we cannot ignore the contributions of rotary-type portable air compressors. These air compressors are the source of the power of the constriction sites. The powerful machine has the ability to handle almost all the power tools. For example, brick hammers, sanders, drills, circular saws, bump cutters, etc. of medium to large construction sites.
- For carrying from one site to another there are wheels on the bottom of these air compressors. They look like a kind of vehicle. And most of the construction air compressors can run with fuel like gasoline or petroleum. Providing electrical connections is not easy for all construction sites. Oil-running compressors lessen the burden of power connection.
Portable Air Compressors Working Formula:
The working formula of stationary, as well as portable air compressors, are almost all the same. As portable air compressors are piston/ reciprocating along with rotary type. So they follow the individual working formula of their own type.
Working Diagram of Portable Piston Air Compressor:
Piston air compressors perform their functions by the shifting of the pistons. They suck atmospheric air inside. Then the air is forced by the rotor spins to move forward.
There are two types of piston air compressors. One is single-stage; another is two-stage or multi-stage.
Portable Single-Stage Piston Air Compressor: the Working Illustration:
Figure: Working Formula of a Single Stage Air Compressor
The work station of a single-stage portable air compressor is the central chamber. There is a rotor spin that is responsible for the movement of the pistons. It forces the pistons to move upward as well as downward. When the piston goes down, the air gets the chance of entering the chamber.
The central chamber is getting compressed by reducing the volume. After that with the movement of the piston upward, air comes to the outlet section. There is a line to the outlet section to shut-off kit. In this way, a single-stage air compressor produces compressed air inside the chamber.
Portable Two-Stage / Multi-Stage Piston Air Compressor: the Working Procedure
Figure: Working formula of two-stage air compressor
- The two-stage air compressor also has rotor spins like a single-stage air compressor. But the difference is the intercooler as well as the aftercooler. In a two-stage air compressor, you will find a central cooling system which is an intercooler. An aftercooler is only present in multi-stage air compressors.
- In a two-stage air compressor, two pistons work at the same time. One piston is larger than the other. When the rotor spins force the large piston, the air enters the chamber. Then air gets compressed by pressure. The temperature of this pressurized air is higher because of the external force.
- For reducing the temperature there is an intercooler. The hot air comes in contact with the intercooler and cooled down. Moisture or any other small particles of air gets separated in the cooling system. Then the air is transferred through a suction pipe to the smaller piston.
- After that, smaller piston again forces the pressurized air and finally transfers it to the outlet valve to generate.
The working principle of a multi-stage air compressor is also the same as a two-stage air compressor. The only difference is the aftercooler. There is a number of coolers in the multi-stage air compressor. These coolers make the air more pressurized and pure.
Working Formula of Portable Rotary Air Compressors:
Rotary air compressors are two types. One is the rotary screw air compressor. Another is the rotary vane air compressor.
Portable Rotary Screw Air Compressor Working Method:
The main feature of a rotary screw air compressor is the presence of two screws. These screws rotate continuously. As a result, there creates a vacuum in between the screws.
Figure: Working Method of Rotary Screw Air Compressor
When the compressor sucks atmospheric air, it enters into the vacuum. As the vacuum is very tiny, the air gets pressed by the screws. Air travels downward through the rotation of the screws. Finally, the air is forced to the output unit for further generation.
Portable Rotary Vane Air Compressor:
Rotary Vane air compressors also have portable models. The main functionary unit of a rotary vane air compressor is the spinning rotor. It looks like a circular disk. This spinning rotor creates cavities of different sizes.
Figure: The Functionary Procedure of a Rotary Vane Air Compressor
When the compressor sucks the atmospheric air, the air fills the cavities. The cavities get smaller by turning. As a result, the air gets pressurized. So the volume of air gets reduced. Then this compressed air forced to the outlet point.
Portable Vs. Stationary: Which is the Best?
- Most of the air compressor users have the confusion that between portable and stationary, which air compressor is the best. There is no scale for measuring the quality of both. The main determiner is the area of application.
- Sometimes we need to carry the compressed air system from one place to another or one site to other. A portable air compressor is the best solution for this situation.
- On the other hand for garage work or for piping system continuous air is a must. At such places, there is no other alternative than a stationary air compressor.
- Are you willing to learn more about portable vs. stationary air compressors? Then click here portable vs. stationary air compressors for further statements.
Tips of Maintenance of a Portable Air Compressor:
Portable construction air compressors are the main source of running all the heavy power tools of the sites. If the compressed air system becomes faulty, then the whole site gets immobilized. So you need to maintain the system for keeping the system on the trot.
- Always use an air filter in the system so that moisture cannot mix with the compressed air
- Clean the parts of the compressor in a routine way
- Keep some spare parts in the construction sites for emergency replacement
- Check the oil level of the motor frequently and use the branded lubricants for better durability
- Drain the moisture of the compressor after every use as moisture creates rust and rust is the main enemy of the compressed air system
- Don’t keep the compressor in a wet place to preserve the parts from internal tear and wear
A-List of prominent Brands of Portable Air Compressors:
- Atlas Copco
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Question 1: Is it possible to run a portable air compressor with electricity?
Answer: Yes, portable air compressors can be powered by both electricity well as diesel oil.
Question 2: What is the area of application of portable air compressors?
Answer: Portable air compressor is mainly used as the source of compressed air in construction sites. In some medium, to large industries, these air compressors are used as the alternative source to run the power tools.
Question 3: Which air compressor is the best for running small home appliances?
Answer: A portable mini air compressor is the best choice for running small home works like inflating and cleaning.
Question 4: Oiled vs. oil-free, which type of compressor’s motor is suitable for use?
Answer: Oiled air compressors are cheaper than oil-free air compressors. Again oiled air compressors create less noise than oil-free models.
Portable air compressors are the best source of power for running almost all power tools. And if the compressor is the rotary type then it is the powerhouse of the construction sites. However portable piston air compressors serve the role of multi-tasker for running home power tools.
Before working with a portable air compressor you must know how does a portable air compressor work. To select the right portable air compressor for your construction site click portable air compressor reviews. Make sure to follow all the safety measures while working with a compressed air system.