In this pandemic period, we have no other alternative than staying at home. And by this time we can make a number of tools with our family members. Today we are going to show you how to make a mini air compressor at home.
Though, the name of the compressor begins with the word “mini” this air compressor can do enormous works. You can blow off the dust of any remote corner with the help of it. Along with that, you can use this compressor to inflate the tire of the bicycle, filling inflatable toys, and many more tasks.
You can make a mini air compressor with the things available at home. So it will save some bucks of buying a tire inflator. However, you can make your household cleaning stuff easier with it. Let’s see the method of making a mini air compressor.
- 0.1 Mini Air Compressor: At a Glance:
- 1 The Procedure of Making a Mini Air Compressor:
- 1.1 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 2 The Closure:
Mini Air Compressor: At a Glance:
As we are going to make a mini air compressor first of all let’s see what a mini air compressor is.
A mini air compressor is the smallest air compressor in the family of air compressors. Do you know the working principle of an air compressor?
An air compressor sucks atmospheric air inside. This air gets compressed by decreasing the volume. When the air gets compressed air pressure increases. And this compressed air carries a huge amount of potential energy. With this air, you can do different kinds of pneumatic tasks.
Figure: Mini Air Compressor
A mini air compressor also follows the working principle of the air compressor. It sucks the atmospheric air, compresses the air inside then this air turns into potential energy.
You can find a huge variety of mini air compressors available in the market. They cost from $ 30 to $50. But you can make your own mini air compressor with the help of only a few things. It will save your wallet. Along with that, you have lots of fun making your tool with your own hands.
The Function of a Mini Air Compressor:
A mini air compressor is also known as a tire inflator. Though the name is mini, it can work as a powerful tool.
You can inflate balloons, inflatable toys, tires, footballs, and so on with a mini air compressor. Even you can fill a pool with this air compressor. Just imagine having some cool moments in the soothing water of an inflatable pool. Isn’t it refreshing? To enjoy such moments click how to inflate a pool with an air compressor.
Another excellent function of a mini air compressor is blowing off dust.
Sometimes we cannot clean the dust of any electric device like the CPU of a computer, keyboard, or inner part of an AC system. In these cases, a mini air compressor is the best alternative to a vacuum cleaner. A vacuum cleaner is too costly as well as heavy. On the other hand, a mini air compressor is lightweight. It’s easy to run.
Even you can easily dust off your furniture with it. The compressed air of the mini air compressor can blow off the smallest dust particles. So if you have a mini air compressor then it will handle all the cleaning stuff.
The Procedure of Making a Mini Air Compressor:
Making a mini air compressor is very easy. Even your little kids can make a mini air compressor if you once show them how to make it.
To make a mini air compressor you need some tools like:
- 2 Pieces Plastic Bottle/ Canes of Soft Drinks for Base
- A Piece of Mini Air Pump Motor
- Battery for Power Generation
- Drill Machine to Drill Cork of the Bottles
- Knife for cutting the Bottles
- Glue for Joining
- Copper Wires
- Steel Pipe Clamp
- Cardboard for Placing the Compressor
- Plastic Pipes with Piston
- Mini Wrench
These things are available in our house. Even they are not costly at all if you don’t have one or two. You can collect them from any hardwire shops or from online.
After collecting all the things now we are good to go to the procedure of making the mini air compressor.
Step 1: Preparing the Bottles:
To make the mini compressor here we are using two plastic bottles as the air tank of the system
- You can use any kind of bottles or cans to prepare the system
- First of all, remove the corks of the bottles
- Then make holes on the corks of the bottles with the drill
- The size of the drill bit must not bigger than the diameter of the plastic pipes
- Again make holes on the bottom of the bottles
Step 2: Setting the Pipes into the Bottles and with the Corks:
After making holes on the bottles and the corks now it’s time to set the pipes through the bottles
Figure: Pipes set into the bottles
- Cut 6 inches of the plastic pipe
- Then insert one side of the pipe on the hole of one bottle
- Now insert the other side of the pipe into the hole of another bottle
- Then seal the join with glue so that air cannot escape
- Again take another portion of the pipe
- Now put on the head of the pipe into the hole of a cork
- Seal the hole with glue
- Make sure that the pipe has fixed with the glue so that air cannot escape
- Now put on the cork on the bottles
- Repeat the process of adjusting pipe with another cork and put on the cork of the bottle
- Keep the other head of both the pipes adjoining to the corks free for further adjustment
- Now strongly tie both the bottles with a rubber band
Step 3: Placing the System on a Cardboard
- After preparing the system now it’s time to place the system on a stand
- As a stand, we are using cardboard here
- Put some glue on one side of the bottles and place them on the board
- Now set the mini air pump motor on one side of the board with glue
- Then adjust the battery with the mini air pump motor
Step 4: Connecting Power to the System:
Figure: Mini air pump with steel pipe clamp
- Make power connection with the battery and the motor by copper pipes
- After connecting the battery with the mini air pump motor place a piece of steel pipe clamp to set the one end of the pipe of the system
- Join the clamp on the mini air pump motor and then insert the end of the one cork pipe
- Tighten the joining by a mini wrench
Figure: Power Connection
Step 5: Running the Compressor
Figure: Home-made mini air compressor
Now your mini air compressor system is ready
- You have another end of the cork pipe
- This side of the pipe is the air hose of the mini compressor system
- When you switch on the pump, the motor will run and compressed air will produce in the bottles
- Then with the air hose, you can blow off any dust particle or inflate any tires, inflatable toys, etc.
- Adjust a piston with the hose to control the flow of air
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question: Can I make the mini air compressor with only one bottle instead of 2 bottles.
Answer: Yes, you can make your mini air compressor with only one bottle. Even you can use the metal cane as a substitute for a plastic bottle.
Question: Is it possible to run the mini air compressor with electricity?
Answer: You can connect the mini compressor system with an electric line if you don’t want to use a battery. Just adjust a plug with the system.
Question: Why should I use glue to seal the joining of the pipes?
Answer: Sealing the joining of the pipes is the most important part of making a mini air compressor. If the seal is not locked properly then the air may escape which will ruin the whole system.
In this pandemic period, we all are staying at home with not much to do. So we can utilize our time by making tools which can make our life easy. A mini air compressor is such a tool that can revive us by doing our pneumatic job especially cleaning.
Now you have known how to make a mini air compressor. Follow the steps maintaining sequence to have a smooth finishing. Don’t forget to wear goggles while working.