A flat tire is a nightmare for car owners. They have to deal with this problem now and then. If you own a car you must know how to pump air into car tire. Sometimes, the tires get so flat that it becomes impossible to drive to the nearest gas station.
What can you do in this situation? No worries!
You can either use a pump or an air compressor to fill up your tire. However, either way, you have to check the air pressure in your tire before blowing it.
So, it is a wise decision to keep a pressure gauge in your toolbox. So if you haven’t already, put it today.
Some questions come in the mind of people like why is it necessary to check the pressure before inflating? Why can’t you just start filling up your tire? Isn’t the process time-consuming?
No! The process isn’t time-consuming at all. And we will tell you why it is so important to know the current pressure of the tire. All you have to do is to go through the instructions and tips given below.
Check the Pressure
If you fill up your tire without checking the pressure, it is obvious that the tire won’t get the required pressure. It will hamper the tire’s performance and reduce its durability. Moreover, it is very unsafe to drive cars when you put the wrong pressure into your tire. You can promptly check the pressure with a pressure gauge. Here we will know the method of checking the pressure.
- Twist the cap of the valve anti-clockwise and open it. Don’t lose it.
- Get your pressure gauge and insert it into the valve.
- Hold it tightly and steadfastly. You will get a reading.
- Repeat the same process twice or thrice to get an exact result.
- Once you get the result, put the cap back on the valve and tighten it.
- 1 Now, Let’s Learn How to Pump Air into Car Tire in Two Ways;
- 1.1 How to pump air into car tire at a service station
- 1.2 How to pump air into car tire at home
- 1.3 Safety Measures
- 1.4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- 2 Conclusion
Now, Let’s Learn How to Pump Air into Car Tire in Two Ways;
How to pump air into car tire at a service station
If you don’t have any pump or air compressor, drive to the nearby service station. There are many service stations which provide you free services. But not all of them! So always keep changes when you go to pump tire at service stations.
- Park your car near the pump or air dispenser.
- Unscrew the cap of the valve and attach the hose to the valve.
- Press down the adapter and pump air until it reaches the desired PSI (Pounds per Square Inch).
- Detach the hose when your tire is filled.
- Reattach the cap of the valve. Tighten it.
How to pump air into car tire at home
Having an air compressor of your own helps you save money and time. It is very convenient as well.
Air compressors can be very handy when it comes to inflating a tire. There are times when you can’t drive to your destination or near a gas station because your car tire seems to be low. You can buy a portable air compressor and keep it in your car trunk so that you can use it whenever needed.
- Place the air compressor near your car tire.
- Attach the hose to the compressor.
- Then connect it to the tire valve
- Turn on the compressor.
- Look at the pressure gauge.
- Once your tire is pumped up, turn off the air compressor
- Detach the hose from the valve.
- Close the cap of the valve and make it tight.
- While removing the cap, you should be careful. The air can escape if you keep the valve open for too long. So you need to put the gauge inside immediately after removing the cap.
- To get an accurate pressure always check it when the tires are cold. Because the pressure is relatively high in hot tires. It is better to check the pressure in the morning. But if you want to check it after a long drive, then wait for at least 30 to 45 minutes and then check it.
- Be careful! Overinflating or underinflating hampers your tire as well as causes accidents. Always inspect the pressure with a pressure gauge.
- Release some air by pulling the valve if you add excess air.
Are you using air-powered tools and not taking safety measures? Not a good idea!
Always follow some safety rules to avoid any unpleasant circumstances;
- Put on safety goggles and gloves if necessary.
- Go through the guidelines.
- Check the air compressor and maintain the parts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How will I know the recommended PSI of my car’s tires?
You will find the recommended PSI of your tires on the sticker inside the driver’s door. If it’s not there, check the owner’s manual book.
How can I improve the performance of my car’s tires?
Proper maintenance can help to improve the performance and longevity of your tire. For that, you must check the pressure of your tire frequently.
Can I use a bicycle pump or hand pump to inflate the tires?
It is not an ideal solution to inflate tires with a bicycle pump. Use it if air compressors and pumps aren’t available. You have to put a lot of effort to get your job done with a bicycle pump though. A hand pump is not recommended at all.
Are tire inflation products good for filling up tires?
Tire inflation products can be used if you fall into a really bad situation and don’t have any other option. Generally, using tire inflation products can be harmful to the tires. It can destroy the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) as well as cause damage to the valve stem. Avoid using these kinds of tire inflation products unless your life is in danger.
It can be a real hazard if you don’t know how to pump air into car tire. Now since you are here that means you’ve read the article and you know the process.
We don’t want our readers to wander around. Hence, we recommend you get an air compressor for inflating your car tire. You don’t have to face any uncomfortable situations if you keep a portable air compressor in your car.
If you like the article, stay with us for more info!