Drill bit is a cutting machine or tool for making holes which is attached with a drilling machine. Drill bits are of different types and every individual bit is used for a particular work. In this article, you will get to know about how to put a drill bit in a drill.
And for removing a drill bit check out this article on How to remove a drill bit from the drill.
Types of chuck
For putting a drill bit in a drill, loosening the chuck (a clamp which holds the bit into the drill) is mandatory.
Mainly 3 types of chucks are available: 1. Keyed chuck 2. One-part keyless chuck 3. Two-part keyless chuck
Keyed chuck: Keyed chuck contains one or more than one hole in it which is needed to be unlocked with a chuck key. Chuck key for every other chuck is unique.
One-part keyless chuck: Usually cordless drill contains one-part keyless chuck. This chuck is really easy and comfortable to use. All you need to tighten and loosen the chuck is rotating the chuck clockwise and anticlockwise respectively.
Two-part keyless chuck: Corded drill comes with a two-part keyless chuck. The upper part of the chuck is used to loosen and tighten the chuck and this chuck is held in place by the lower part.
For loosening the chuck, you need to rotate the upper part of the chuck anti-clockwise.
And for tightening the chuck, you need to rotate the upper part of the chuck clockwise.
Different Types of drill bit
Lots of drill bits are available which have different sizes, shapes and also different uses. Among several drill bits, some drill bits are commonly used and some drill bits are used less often.
Two drill bits which are highly used is twist drill or high speed drill bit and step drill.
Twist drill or high speed steel drill bit is used for making regular holes in the walls, woods and sometimes metals.
And usually, Step drill bit is used to make holes in metal upto 1/4 thickness.
Hey wait! What about knowing some more bits name just for knowing?
Here are some: Countersink drill bit, masonry drill bit, hard drill bits and Forstner bit.
How to put a drill bit in a drill?
After gathering some knowledge about the type of chuck and drill bits, now we will know about how to put a drill bit in a drill or it can be said how to put a drill bit in a chuck.
It can be said that how to put a drill bit in a chuck instead of drill because it’s the chuck which holds the bit not the drill.
And yeah! Chuck is a part of drill. So, both the term can be used and those will be correct.
Now, let us move forward to the main topic.
Today, you will learn how to put a drill bit in a keyed chuck, one-part keyless chuck and two-part keyless chuck.
But before following any of the following method, disconnect the power of the drill.
Insert a drill bit in a keyed chuck
- At first take your chuck key and unlock all the holes one by one. To loosen the chuck, you need to rotate the chuck key anti-clockwise.
- Now put the drill bit inside the chuck and make sure that the bit is in the center of the chuck.
- After putting the bit into the chuck, now again rotate the chuck key. But this time you need to rotate the chuck key clockwise to tighten the chuck.
- Now you can turn on the power of the drill and use it for which you inserted the drill bit.
Insert a drill bit in a one-part keyless chuck
- Turn off the power of the drill
- Now loosen the chuck by rotating it anti-clockwise. Hold the drill with one hand and the chuck with other and then rotate it properly.
- Insert the bit into the chuck and now rotate the chuck clockwise to tighten it and securing the drill bit or driver.
- Now you can turn the power on and use it.
Insert a drill bit in a two-part keyless chuck
- Turn off the power of the drill before moving forward
- Hold the lower part of the chuck with one and then rotate the upper part of the chuck with another. To loosen the upper part of the chuck, rotate it anti-clockwise.
- Now put the bit into the chuck and rotate the upper part of the chuck clockwise by holding the lower part with one hand.
- Now your drill is ready to use.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Can we use one key to unlock two or more different drill’s chuck?
No, you can’t. As said earlier that chuck key of every other drill is unique. So, one specific key will only unlock one specific drill of that key.
So, if you lose your chuck key then you have to buy a new specific key for your drill.
How can I keep my chuck key secured?
For keeping your chuck key secured, keep it inside a tool box or any type of box. Then keep that tool box or the box (where you kept the chuck key) aside so that no one can easily touch it.
Is it mandatory to turn off the drill before inserting drill bit? And if yes then why?
It is mandatory to turn off the drill before inserting the drill bit to keep yourself safe from any type of injury.
Hope after reading this article you have gathered many knowledges about drill bit, chuck and also have known about how to put a drill bit in a drill.
You can use any of the 3 methods mentioned-above depending on whether your chuck is keyed chuck or one-part keyless chuck or two-part keyless chuck.
Be careful while working with the drill because safety first. And one more thing! If you want you can also wear working gloves for safety.