Drill bits are cutting tools mainly used for making holes in the metals, walls, woods and plastic. Drill bits are securely attached into drill machines with the help of a chuck. I know that you have come here to know about how to remove a drill bit from drill. And in this article, you will get to know about 3 different methods of removing a drill bit from a drill.
But before moving into the methods, let us know about different types of drill bits.
- 1 How to remove a drill bit from drill
- 2 Summary
Drill bit types
Different types of drill bits are available for different purposes.
Drill bit named High Speed Steel or twist drill bits are the most used drill bit. This High-Speed Steel or twist drill bit is ideal for everyday usage and making holes in the walls, metals and wood.
Other than High speed steel, step drill is also commonly used for drilling metal upto 1/4 inch thick.
We can also divide the drill bits into two parts: 1. Most used bits for construction and DIY purposes 2. Less often used bits for construction and DIY purposed
Some examples of most used drill bits for construction and DIY purposes are: twist drills or high speed steel, countersink, SDS, spur wood bits etc.
And some examples of less often used drill bits used for construction and DIY purpose are: manual hammer drill, extra hard drill bits, conical drill bit, star cutter drills etc.
Commonly used drill bits sizes
The common package of drill bit comes with the bits of size ranging from 1/16 of an inch to 1/4 of an inch. Other sizes of drill bits are also available, such as- 1/2 of an inch, 3/8 of an inch and more.
How to remove a drill bit from drill
In total there are 3 methods of removing drill bits from drill. But which method you can apply to remove the drill bit will depend on the type of drill machine that you have.
Older drill machine comes with one or more than one hole, means that you need a key to remove drill bit from the old drill machine.
On the other hand, drill bits from the modern drill machine can be removed by applying any one of the two methods (manually remove drill bits and removing drill bits with the help of drill itself).
As we got to know about the names of the 3 methods, let us dive into a brief description of the methods about how to remove a drill bit from a drill.
Remove drill bit with a key
The key which is needed to take the drill bit out of a drill is called chuck key. And chuck keys for every individual drill machine is different. Chuck key of one specific drill machine cannot be used for another specific drill machine.
So, if you also have a chuck key then keep it safely so that you don’t lose it. You can keep the chuck key inside your tool box.
To remove drill bit with a key, follow the below mentioned instructions properly-
- At first, locate the holes of the chuck at the end of the drill machine. Chuck of a drill machine can contain one or even more than one hole.
- Then place the chuck key inside one hole and rotate anti-clockwise 5-6 times. Now, move to every other hole (if there’s any left more) and loosen the holes in the same way like you did before.
- Now the drill bit will come out easily from the drill. But if the drill bit doesn’t come out easily it means that you couldn’t loosen the holes properly. So, now again check the holes with chuck key to make sure that you have rotated the chuck key anti-clockwise 5-6 times.
- After taking out the drill bit from the drill, make sure to keep the drill bit carefully to you.
Taking out a drill bit from drill with the drill
As modern drill machines are advanced so this drill machines got many advanced features. Drill bit from the modern drill machine can be taken out with the help of the drill machine itself.
Follow the below mentioned steps properly for taking the drill bit out of the drill:
- Find the button available just above the handle of the drill machine. Then push the button in on the left side.
(You need to push the button in on the left side to make the drill bit move anti-clockwise and thus the drill bit will easily come out)
- Now pull the trigger of the drill machine holding the chuck tightly and also keeping a table or mat under it so that you don’t lose the drill bit.
Carefully hold the chuck and do not touch the drill bit while pulling the trigger. Otherwise, you might get injured.
Manually opening the chuck to remove drill bit / Manual process of removing the drill bit
Drill bit from the modern drill machine can be removed manually. In this method you need to open the chuck (outside is made of plastic) which holds the drill bit tightly into the drill machine.
Below, the instructions are stated-
- Identify the chuck at the end of the drill. Then use one hand to hold the handle of the drill and another hand to hold the chuck of the drill.
- Now rotate the chuck anti-clockwise to loosen the internal components of the chuck. Keep rotating the chuck until the drill bits come out and then keep the drill bit aside to avoid losing it.
If the chuck gets stuck then you can unscrew it with the help of a wrench or vice grip. For unscrewing the chuck, hold the chuck with the wrench and rotate the chuck anti-clockwise.
Or, you can also unscrew the chuck with a Phillip’s head screwdriver if you don’t have a wrench or vice grips. For this, you need to insert the Phillip’s head screwdriver inside the tip/top of the chuck and rotate it anti-clockwise.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What is the color of drill bits?
Usually drill bits are of black color and sometimes of golden color too.
Can we drill wood with metal drilling bits?
Yes, you can use metal drilling bits for drilling wood but cannot use wood-drilling bits for drilling metal. Don’t ever even try to drill metal with wood-drilling bits.
How to identify wood or metal drill bit?
You can identify wood or metal drill bit by seeing the tip of the bit. Wood drilling bits have a sharp tip while metal-drilling bit contains a slightly angled tip.
Now you briefly know about how to remove a drill bit from drill and you can also apply any of the methods for taking out the drill bit from your drill machine depending on which drill machine you have.
Properly follow the given instructions to avoid any kind of accident.
Hope you got all the information in this article which you were searching for.
And if you need a high-quality drill for your next project then we have got some awesome suggestions for you:-
- Bosch GBH 2 28 F
- Wen 4210 Drill Press
- Wen 4208 Drill Press
- Wen 4214 variable speed drill press
- Milwaukee 2803 M18 Fuel Drill
- Dewalt DCD791d2