A miter saw is a widely used power tool that can make a variety of angle cuts. The blade of the saw is mounted on the top of the swing arm. This allows the saw to make angle cuts with ease.
The miter has a lot common with a chop saw. While the chop saw is used to make straight 90 degrees cut, you can use your miter saw to cut at different angles. Know about the differences between these two power tools and learn how you can use the chop saw in this article: how to use chop saw
Miter saw safety tips
Before you even begin to cut with a miter saw, you need to take some precautions. Here are some points you should keep in mind for safety.
- Make sure you understand the user’s manual properly. In addition to knowing about the saw, it will also contain useful miter saw safety tips.
- Before making a particular cut, make sure you set the right angle cut. Also, check and see that your saw is not dull. A dull saw can cause serious problem if you start cutting with one.
- Before starting each cut, check for any sort of damage on the saw. After that, repair if you find any damage at all and then start using the saw again.
- Clean the area along with the saw itself. If you find sawdust or debris on top of your working table then clean them up. Moreover, clean the blade if it has any sawdust from previous use.
- Don’t desire to cut any material which the miter saw won’t be able to cut through. Ensure that you have the right blade installed to cut the specific material.
Ready to make the cut
When you are ready to make the cut, proper precautions should be taken.
- Wear proper gear. This includes gloves, goggles, not wearing any loose clothing, etc. Since the miter saw makes sawdust, it is necessary to wear goggles. Furthermore, avoiding loose clothing will ensure that the cloth does not get strangled into the blade. Hearing protection is also recommended so that you can work with more concentration.
- If you have any adjustments installed on the saw then make sure they are well secured. Furthermore, secure the workpiece so that it doesn’t move much. Get a tight grip of the material!
- Make sure that you feel comfortable with the trigger and workpiece since you will use both hands. Begin cutting only after you feel comfortable.
- When you are switching on the saw, it is important to keep the saw blade in front of you. It should not be in an awkward position. Furthermore, keep hands and other body parts away from the blade when starting.
- Also, keep hands out of the path of the cut line. It is very easy to get hurt while placing hands in the line of fire unconsciously. So, remain alert!
- Keep the miter saw safety guards on. The guards should be in working order so that you are safe in case if anything goes wrong.
- Don’t try to cut with the miter saw freehand. Meaning have something to support the workpiece.
- Never cut more than one piece at the same time.
- Take a position such that you don’t have reach out anymore and complete the cut.
More miter saw safety tips
- Never get distracted while the saw is on. Try working in such an environment where you won’t have much distraction.
- Use the miter saw brake feature. This feature halts the blade or slows down to the point that it is not so effective anymore.
- Avoid cutting small pieces of wood. The miter saw is not so effective in cutting small pieces. Moreover, you can make serious mess if you try to cut pieces smaller than 8-7 inch.
- Always turn off the saw when installing attachments. Also, keep the saw out of any power source when you are changing the blade. Learn how you can change the miter saw blade in 5 simple steps: how to change miter saw blade.
- Switching the trigger off is not enough. Wait until the blade stops completely and then unplug the saw.
- Never the cut materials which your miter saw is incapable of going through.
The main objective was to provide some basic and important miter saw safety tips and rules. Of course, keep in mind that your safety is dependent on how you decide to work. You can know all the instructions yet can injure yourself still. That is why it is important that you stay conscious all the while you operate with a miter saw or any other saw like a table saw, for example. Now, try to follow the safety tips and keep yourself safe from any unnecessary injury. And keep on making cuts with your miter saw.
Read how you can use laser guide with miter saw for more accuracy: miter saw with laser guide.