The miter saws are dedicated crosscut saws used for making angles and bevels. They are very easy to set up. So, if the question comes what is a miter saw used for? It is used for crosscut, miter cut, bevel cut and also for many other cuts which are discussed broadly below.
First of all, let us know what a miter saw is:
A miter saw is a saw used in a workpiece by pulling a large backsaw or a mounted circular saw blade in a quick motion down onto a board to make accurate cuts. Miter saws are commonly referred as drop saw or abrasive cut off saws and are also referred as chop saw.
Types of miter saws
There are several types of miter saw. Some types are discussed below:
- Original miter box and saw – The first saw consists of a wooden or plastic three-sided box having 90° and 45° slits to guide a hand or to make miter cuts in a piece of work.
- Power or Standard miter saw– Power or Standard saw is a powered version designed for making straight cross cuts at a wide range of angles on a piece of work, not like an abrasive cut which can only cut 90 degrees to the board. These types of saw are commonly used for straight cuts to create a 45° degree for framing.
- Compound miter saw – Compound miter saws allow cutting of other than 90 degrees. It also has an added benefit of being able to rotate the blade and head at various types of angles. To allow more complex cut, it creates a ramp angled cut into the side of the wood. Commonly, this type of saw is for trimming work for homes. A compound miter saw is also known as a single compound miter saw, which means that when angled on one side the head only rotates, as well as makes the user to flip the board to get angle cuts in the other direction.
- Dual compound-miter saw – Dual or double compound saw allow the head to rotate when angled on both the left and right-hand sides. This type of saw is mainly used in decorative trim work.
- Sliding compound miter saw – To move the saw head back and forth on a sliding rail, similar to a radial arm saw, sliding miter saws are used, which increases the size capacity of a board for cutting. The sliding compound miter saw is for straight, pull down cuts (like chop saws) by allowing for the locking of the rails. Moreover, with the sliding feature engaged, the head is necessary to pull forward, then start the saw and push the blades backward into the lumber.
- Laser/LED miter saws – Lastly, we have miter saws that come with laser guides. For more precise cutting some saws have a laser guide. The laser is a disc-shaped washer that attaches to the saw blade and illuminates the line for which where the blade will cut. However, some saws also have a built in LED feature in the first place. And if yours does not have it, you can always buy a light and then install it in your saw.
Power miter saw
Power meter saw is also called drop saw; which is, a power tool used at a selected angle to make a quick, accurate crosscut in a workpiece. Therefore, it is commonly used for cutting off molding and trim. However, most miter saws are relatively small in size and portable; with eight to twelve inches blade sizes and makes a spinning circular blade to cut in a short, controlled motion. The power miter saw makes cuts down onto a workpiece where the workpiece is typically held against a fence, providing a precise cutting angle between the plane of the longest workpiece edge and the plane of the blade. This angle is 90 degrees in standard position.
What is a miter saw used for?
Crosscut is a straight angled or perpendicular cut made in any workpiece parallel to with the edges. Furthermore, it is the most basic cut of all. It is also widely used. To cut lengths of wood or timber or lumber this saw is necessary.
- Miter cut
Miter saw is an angled cut make through a piece diagonally at any degree of angle. Miters cut help in making frame, crown mold, gates, ledges, boxes etc.
- Bevel cut:
- A bevel cut is a cut that is angled through the workpiece instead of across it.
- Miter saw is also used for making smaller pieces out of a long work piece.
- It is also used during the framing phase commonly used in construction sites studs and framing components.
- Again, it is used to trim down wall studs and framing components.
- Trim down fence pieces and roof materials accurately and quickly.
- A miter saw is also used for cutting a basic miter joint.
Main disadvantages of miter saw cut is
- Relatively poor wood chip and next,
- As so much of the blade is exposed when cutting, it causes dust extraction, especially in bevel cuts.
Precautions while using miter saw
- Wear goggles to protect eye from harming or entering unwanted particles.
- Use ear protection as a power saw can make very loud sound.
- Do not wear loose cloths, jewelry.
- Tighten the long hair.
- Keep hands at least six inches from the blade and off the turntable.
- Do not cross the arms while making a cut.
- Use a feed support or stand to support the workpiece.
- For use, maintenance and safety, always follow the saw manufacturer’s instructions manual which comes with the saw in the first place.
Do you want to use miter saw successfully?
Here are some special tips especially for you:-
- Before measuring for the final cut always cut the factory end from a board. Because this ensures better fitting parts.
- Do not force the blade through the wood. Let the saw to do the hard work.
- Use a blade with more than 50 teeth for construction cuts and with more than 90 teeth for fine cuts as more teeth make better quality cuts. Use a lower tooth count for treated lumber even for those finer cuts, as the open spaces between the teeth clear the debris and put less strain on the motor.
- When operating the saw never cross your arms, as this keeps you out of the path of the blade. Straight out both arms in front of you. To help you control the wood and the saw keep your feet firmly planted on the ground.
- First one angle end of a part is to be cut if possible then the cut is to be marked on the opposite end after testing if the first cut fit.
At last, for sawing, a miter saw is widely used for cutting any types of cut smoothly with perfect accuracy. But while using this type of precautions is to be maintained otherwise accident may occur which are not at all pleasant for anyone.
Leave a Reply