Band saws are usable for cutting curves such as in creating cabriole legs, for ripping lumber and also for crosscutting short pieces of lumber. Most commonly what band saw is used for is to cut irregular shapes and for resawing or ripping lumber into thinner pieces. Moreover, it makes the smoothest cuts and in fact, it can be used to cut materials other than wood, including metal with the appropriate blade.
- 1 What is a band saw?
- 2 Types of the band saw
- 3 How to use a band saw
- 4 What is band saw used for?
- 5 Advantages
- 6 Precautions
What is a band saw?
Firstly, the band saw is a type of power saw having a long sharp blade composed of teeth between two or more wheels used to cut materials. Certainly, the band saw is for cutting wood, metal or lumber or plastic. Most of the band saws have two wheels but some may also have three or four wheels. However, it consists of blades of various sizes. In the meantime, the band saws that found today are powered by electric motors. Before, in the metalworking industries, power hacksaws were very popular but they are now replaced by a band saw.
Types of the band saw
1. A band saw for cutting metals
For cutting metals, band saws are hardly different from others. The special difference is in the blades for cutting. For cutting metal a special type of blade is used which allow better control and handle of material.
2. A band saw for wood cutting
Band saw is usually manufactured and used for cutting woods. For different types of wood cutting, different blades are generally used.
3. Vertical band saw
This kind of band saw runs on an electric motor through a belt transmission and has a vertical cutting position. The adjustment of the blade is allowed by the belt and the blade of the saw rotates between the idler wheel that is above the work table and a drive wheel that is beneath the work table on a fixed track. The vertical band saws are for simple piece cutting or for filing, polishing, and contours.
4. Horizontal band saw
Horizontal band saw is basically used for making basic material cuts. This saw’s use is for materials like irregular stock or solid steel. This saw has an electric motor driven blade which allows quick change of speed and adjustment while needed. It allows horizontal cutting position for a workpiece or stock.
5. Floor standing band saw
This saw is a very powerful saw mainly used by the professionals. But, this saw is also very costly. Again, the main advantage of floor standing saw is that huge power and great size and most importantly it has larger workspace and positioning making cutting and ripping of large pieces of stock much easier.
6. A handheld band saw
Handheld band saws are also portable band saw. Handheld band saws are not only similar to the size of a circular saw but also only a small cutting area is available in this saw.
7. Benchtop band saw
Mobile versions of floor standing saw are benchtop band saw. Benchtop band saws are very powerful and flexible. This type of saw is most popularly used by a DIY woodcutter. They also come in various sizes.
8. Meat band saw
Lastly, meat band saws are mostly used for cutting and trimming meats by the butchers. Though meat band saw looks similar as normal band saw but it contains a special type of blade for a clean cut without wasting. This saw is not for cutting wood, metal or other things, it is only designed for meat cutting.
How to use a band saw
- Make a proper adjustment in the band saw
- Read the manual guides for instruction
- Change or install blade accurately
- Make sure the blade is properly tensioned and the guides adjusted
- Follow all the safety measures or precaution properly before and while using the band saw
- Make a practice cut before using a band saw
- The cut line should have marks and stock is to be moved slowly and firmly against the blade of the saw
- Never cut smaller radius than the blade can handle because this will cause the blade to bind and jump off the wheel
- Make a series of relief cuts up to the cut line to cut sharp curves
- Keep the waste portion on the outside while making irregular cuts
- For compound cutting, mark the cut onto the adjoining edges of the stock. Then cut the waste piece from one side and later, tape them back together. Then the stock is to be turned 90 degrees and make two cuts on the adjoining side
- For cutting circle on the wood, first, draw the circle on the stock and mark the center of the circle. Next, a hole is to be made on the center of the circle. A couple of inches long tangent is to be made on the circle. Then, fasten an auxiliary table with the table of the saw. The stock should be in a position on the auxiliary table with the started cut against the saw blade. A nail or screw is to be driving through the hole in the stock to cut and down into the auxiliary table at right angles to the saw blade. Turn the stock towards the band saw blade allowing the stock to pivot on the screw or nail.
What is band saw used for?
- A band saw is mainly used for cutting wood as well as metal or plastic.
- A special type of band saw that is a meat band saw which is for cutting meat.
- Band saws are also for cutting structural steel in fabricant shops and machine shops.
- Horizontal band saw is for cutting pipes or bar stock piece to length.
- Vertical band saw is for cutting complex shapes and angle of stock.
- Large band saw are widely used by timber mills for cutting and ripping lumber or timber
- Head band saw is for cutting logs.
- A band saw is the most flexible and versatile saw. It easily rips, cuts a piece of stock. It is really good at cutting complex cuts, intricate designs, curves, and resawing stocks
- A band saw is sharper and easier to use than a table saw while cutting any kinds of wood
- There is no chance of kickback like a table saw while using a band saw
- It is the safest way to rip twisted, warped stock piece
- The band saw can cut curves like a zigzag
- The band saw can make fine cuts very easily
- For small log cutting the band saw is perfect and for doing a different small project
- For making joint, a band saw is a perfect tool, as it is quick and cut precisely
- Follow the instruction of the manufacturer
- Check the saw before use
- Check for the dullness of the blade and upgrade the blade
- Check if there is any damage or crack in the wire
- Use eye protection for protecting eyes from entering harmful materials
- Use ear protection to protect ears from loud noise
- Avoid wearing loose and silky clothes
- Tighten loose and long hair.