Finding out what size drill bit I need has always been a struggle. Different types of drill bits and even different sizes of drill bits are available in the market. Choosing a right size drill bit is really important for getting the work done accurately.
But before moving onto the sizes of the drill bit, isn’t it better to know more about drill bit?
So, keep reading till the last to know about what is the work of a drill bit, features of a drill bit, different types of drill bits and their work, and what size drill bit is ideal for you.
Before buying something, it is better to know the reason of buying that product. Same way, before buying drill bit, you should know what is the work of a drill bit.
- 0.1 Types of drill bits and their work
- 1 What size drill bit do I need?
- 2 The closure
What is the work of a drill bit?
The work of a drill bit is to make holes in a particular object. Drill bits are used to make holes in wall, plastic, metal, rock, stones and many more.
Features of a drill bit
Various drill bit varies in sizes and shapes. But all kinds of drill bits got some common features or these features can also be called as the universal features of drill bits.
Name of the features are:
- Shank: Shank is the part which is inserted into the drill chuck.
- Flutes: Displaced material are removed by the cutting lip with the help of the flutes.
- Cutting edge: This part mainly cuts/remove the material to make holes and vary from bit to bit.
- Spur: Spur is the dead end of the drill bit and it helps to locate and drill from the exact position.
- Point: Combined area of spur and cutting edge is the point area.
Types of drill bits and their work
Before finding out which drill bit size you need, it Is better to find out which type of drill bit you need depending on your work.
Drill bits for masonry work, wood drill and metal drill are different. And it Is worth taking time to know about the drill bits which are used for masonry work, wood drilling and metal drilling.
Masonry drill bits: Masonry drill bits are usually used for professional and construction work. These bits are sometimes coated with carbide to make them stronger. Even carbide coated masonry drill bits are used to drill rock. Carbide increases the sharpness of the masonry drill bits.
Metal drill bits: Usually black drill bits are made for metal drilling coating them with black oxide. And the end of the metal drill bits is wide. You can use high speed steel drill bits for drilling metal.
HSS drill bits are mostly used to drill metal.
Wood drill bits: Wood drill bits are most commonly used. Wood drill bits which are coated with titanium lasts longer than any other wood drill bits.
Some wood drill bits are: Auger drill bits (makes neat holes), spade drill bits (rough and large wholes) and self feed drill bit (for making rough and large holes on heavy duty wood).
It is better to use a particular drill bit for a particular work. Otherwise, the drill bit might get damaged and even the work too.
What size drill bit do I need?
After selecting the type of drill bit, now it is time to know the answer of the question you are asking yourself which is, “what size drill bit do I need?”
Drill bit pack comes with a chart that helps a person to choose the right size for their work.
Some guidelines are given and those are needed to be followed:
- For softwoods you need to select a bit which is 1/64” smaller than the targeted hole size.
- For other material except softwoods, you need to select the exact size of the bit same as the hole.
- And still if you can’t select the size of the bit, then, take drill bit which is 1/64” larger than the hole size that you want to make. This condition will also account for variables such as screw type and wood density.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How to put a drill bit in a drill?
If you want to know how to put a drill bit in a drill then here is your answer: How to put a drill bit in a drill
How to remove a drill bit from drill?
To know about how to remove a drill bit from drill, check this out: How to take a drill bit out of a drill.
Did you get your answer? Now I hope that you know the answer of your question (what size drill bit do I need?). And not only size, now you also know what type of drill bit you need for your specific work.
By any chance, if you need to replace or need a new drill, we’ve got you covered!
- Makita XDT111
- Milwaukee 2691 22
- Drill Doctor 350x
- Dewalt DCD996P2
- Dewalt DCD771C2
- Milwaukee 2804
- Wen 4210 Drill press